Author Topic: GPS connection loss in flight  (Read 4544 times)

tfede

GPS connection loss in flight
« on: January 17, 2016, 10:23:25 pm »
Hi all,

today i had chance to test in flight the unit and i was really surprised because GPS connection had been lost several times during a 20 minutes flight.
I tried both the GPS recommended by the PAW team but with the same result, after some time random loss of connection (wifi still working and ok).
I used a  lot the unit in-house with perfect results so i don't think is a HW problem, it seems more something related to the speed which is "stressing" the GPS.

Does someone have (or had) the same problem ?

Federico

Admin

Re: GPS connection loss in flight
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:19:36 am »
Hi Federico

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Firstly I have looked through some of your earlier posts, and I think you are using Air Navigation Pro ?

i was really surprised because GPS connection had been lost several times during a 20 minutes flight.
Q1. Can I ask, how did you determine loss of GPS, was this from the ANP Status banner ?
Q2. Did you check the PilotAware GPS status on the web page http://192.168.1.1 ?

I tried both the GPS recommended by the PAW team but with the same result, after some time random loss of connection (wifi still working and ok).
When you say loss of connection, to which connection do you refer, do you mean 'no GPS signal' ?

Can I ask the following, regarding your sensor selection setup in ANP

Q3. Under Location Services, what is selected and what color does it appear ?
Q4. Under Traffic Sources, what is selected and what color does it appear ?

it seems more something related to the speed which is "stressing" the GPS.
I think this is highly unlikely, this has been working very robustly in SkyDemon and EasyVFR, I am concerned this could possibly be related to ANP  :(

Thx
Lee

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:50:09 am »
Hi Federico

I had a similar episode when testing at home using EVFR.  after one particular start-up of all the systems It appeared that the Nav programme was losing Flarm GPS after a few minutes.  As i was also using a second tablet to follow the traffic table on WiFi server I noticed that this also dropped out saying could not connect to the server but yet both tablets were still showing that they were connected to the PAW hotspot.
disconnect from the WiFi and reconnect and off it went again for a few minutes and then dropped out.  After 3 or 4 times with the same result I eventually did the standard computer thing, Switched off all power and rebooted all units from scratch, hey ho all was good again and it  has not re-occurred.

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:02:40 am »
If the GPS looks broken, I suggest looking at the web page, this will give you the status

http://192.168.1.1

It will tell you how many satellites are visible and the quality of the fix.

Thx
Lee

tfede

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 11:07:34 pm »
Hi Lee,

i always used ANP but very recently i started to use Skydemon.
As i wrote, at home i never had issues, very robust, stable and no issues at all.
In fact the "lost gps" is the message coming from Skydemon which result in a navigation stop. Restarting navigation everything works correctly for some minutes and again loose the gps connection.
I will try to change the wifi dongle, maybe that is the issue. Another test i'll do is to power all with a power bank instead of the 12/5 volt converter, i suspect a lot of noise on the power line.

I'll keep you informed on the test result (hopefully this WE will be flyable !)

Federico

Admin

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:08:22 am »
Hi Lee,

i always used ANP but very recently i started to use Skydemon.
As i wrote, at home i never had issues, very robust, stable and no issues at all.
In fact the "lost gps" is the message coming from Skydemon which result in a navigation stop. Restarting navigation everything works correctly for some minutes and again loose the gps connection.
I will try to change the wifi dongle, maybe that is the issue. Another test i'll do is to power all with a power bank instead of the 12/5 volt converter, i suspect a lot of noise on the power line.

I'll keep you informed on the test result (hopefully this WE will be flyable !)
Federico

Hi Federico,
Can you please describe your power supply, and also the USB lead you are using.
During early testing we found that power supply and high quality lead were critical.
There is a detailed thread discussing this here
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,9.0.html

Thx
Lee