Author Topic: Moving Forward  (Read 16505 times)

rogerabc

Re: Moving Forward
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 08:08:37 pm »
Thanks Lee.
Would you care to respond to the initial posts on this thread.
I'm very keen to know whether you intend to develop a mode C solution or not.

Admin

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 04:53:25 pm »
Thanks Lee.
Would you care to respond to the initial posts on this thread.
I'm very keen to know whether you intend to develop a mode C solution or not.

Hi Roger,
Work has already started on this, in fact you can see the first part of this in the traffic web interface whereby the signal strength is reported for non-ADSB traffic.
What is still to be done, is the work to try to estimate the range based upon the signal strength, this is a little complex, but not too difficult.
My current plan is to release this as a selectable option in the web interface.

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 05:31:58 pm »
Hi all,

Lee, glad to hear you are still progressing the mode C/S detection. I appreciate the difficulties in making alerts meaningful, but just feel it's too big a group of aircraft to avoid. When I first bought my PowerFLARM, it was to replace my ZAON PCAS with a unit which can be powered from the plane without wiping out my comms (which the Zaon MRX does if powered from the plane - perfectly OK from its own batteries) and to provide ADSB in. The FLARM part was of interest as we do have a few gliding sites up here in Scotland, but of much less importance than the other two issues.

The development of P3i PAW and its hopefully wide adoption within the GA / microlight / dereg community, especially with ADSB IN and hopefully mode C /S makes it a MUCH more viable option!

Best regards as always

Peter

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:34:51 pm by exfirepro »

the_doc

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 09:04:04 pm »
Thanks Lee. That's great to hear that Mode C/S is hot on the agenda and that it will be selectable.  Once you get to that point, it will be quite easy for some of us to report back on how well the range algorithm works. There is an area not far away from me where there is always some Mode C/S traffic and on RT. It is therefore quite easy to hear them, visually identify, and comment on whether the appropriate warnings are helpful in an air-air role.

rogerabc

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 09:40:11 pm »
That's great news, thanks.

the_top_pilot

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 10:23:29 am »
Lee,

The Mode C would be a game changer. I am sure I can do some testing for the system I will tell you in a private message what is poss.

Steve

tfede

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 12:37:20 pm »
Hi !

Living in Italy i will have the possibility to test mode C detection every day because i live between a small airport and a small airfield (and i fly too!). Here ULM and GA are mostly in C-Mode so i can get a lot of data almost every good day to fly.
In addition ADS-B traffic is frequent on my area (i vae a minimum of 2/3 readings every 15 minutes).

Let me know Lee if can help

Federico

SteveN

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 11:40:01 am »
To return to OPs point about maintaining momentum.

When any team forms it is a common mistake to assume that stuff known by people inside the team is also known outside it.

Two months ago PAW was "the buzz" around my club. Currently no one is talking about it and I can't keep it going because I have nothing new to report other than "they are delayed by CE approval until February".

My I suggest someone in the team adds a progress report to "Latest news" every week to give us something to tell people about?  For example info and links to the new transceiver and it's specification would be an obvious start.

Clearly Lee is still improving the SW at breakneck speed e.g. Dynon traffic just appeared.

Lets hear about what is going on chaps. Give us the stuff we need to keep enthusiasm bubbling :)

Steve

Admin

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 11:48:30 am »
This is a valid point
We are doing tons of stuff, but not communicating well enough.
I think we need something like a blog just to keep people posted on what is happening internally

I will take an action to write something up

Thx
Lee

tfede

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 09:49:16 pm »
Hi,

i completely agree on SteveN December post, i am trying to keep focus on PAW in Italy but i need news to post.

Please let us be Aware Pilots ! ;D

Thanks!

Federico

AlanG

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 10:31:37 pm »
Hi

Below is a copy of a post I made in the limited Engineering Group and lets you know that there is still a fair bit of work going on in the background whilst we wait for the certification of the new P3I unit
It will be of more interest to users of EasyVFR as that is the Nav s/w I use and am testing with but others are doing similar testing with S/Demon etc.  Hope it is of some interest to some of you.

Hi All
I've had an interesting week or so liaising with Lee and Rob Weigers, (of PocketFMS, the developers of EasyVFR nav software.) to assess how Lee's engineering s/w changes displayed the "Bearingless Targets" in EVFR.  Originally these were purely based on the "Flarm" alerts received by EVFR and just displayed as a text list at top left of the screen. Black text when detected and Red text when within 1000ft separation.  This did not stand out too well and I initially preferred Lee's approach with S/Demon of the coloured aircraft piggy backed on top of your own a/c.  Rob, understandably was not keen to emulate rival software so came up with an amendment to the original list which uses Lee's coloured scale of alerts as background and an increase in text size to the list.  (see screenshots)  This now realy grabs your attention even in peripheral vision. 
I'm going to be lazy now and just copy from an email to Lee/Rob after trying out the beta version of EVFR supplied by Rob.

Hi Rob/Lee
Thanks Rob for the Beta SW version I'm already loving it.  Only testing from my window sill just now as the weather is again atrocious here in Scotland. I am now getting Red Alerts from MLAT a/c leaving EGPH before they appear on FR24.  (3.4nm SE of airport, window is opposite side of house) On take off they are consistently going through Red, to Amber to Green. There can then be some fluctuation between Green & Amber for a short time and then for a longer period they fluctuate between Green and No Signal as they obviously pass behind obstructions to my line of sight. 
Depending on whether they turn toward or away from my position I can follow them on the Green Alert up the edge of the traffic zone (10nm radius) and beyond when they come around to the side of the building which my PAW unit is facing. I can pick up higher altitude over-flying traffic from greater distances on the Green alert but of course this is with parameters set to 30,000ft on PAW and 50,000ft in EVFR so all of these and much of the Amber/Green & Green/No Signal alerts will be filtered out when set to realistic levels so I believe you are onto a winner here. The Mode A, C, S Alerts really stand out now and attract your attention as they pop up or change even in peripheral vision as I'm typing this email. I also like the increase in text label size when the ADSB traffic turns red as this means I can see the changes in altitude easily. I note that in this Beta version I am now no longer able to leave EVFR using it's own GPS and still receive the Flarm service.  I now have to have "use Flarm GPS as EVFR GPS" set to on whereas in 3.82 I could choose to leave it off and still get flarm traffic to the screen.  I used it this way so that if there was any interruption in the PAW system or its GPS the Nav Software carried on as if nothing had happened.  Now I would need to fiddle with removing a glove to be able to change touch settings in EVFR to continue with Navigation only.  Not handy in a flexwing. I appreciate that this may be deliberate to ensure both systems are singing from the same hymn sheet (GPS) for separation altitude accuracy so can live with it if I have to.
Hope this helps!!! 
I cannot congratulate you guys enough for the effort and results you are obtaining here.  I sincerely hope that you get the recognition and benefits that you deserve.

Hopefully below is a link to the screenshots I took of an MLAT equipped a/c leaving EGPH. Not sure if they will be in the correct order but you can follow it's progress from the altitude readings.

https://web.cloud.virginmedia.com/?shareObject=48e62c15-2321-1a9b-01a7-956d1a0e6424

Regards
Alan