Author Topic: Windows 10 & SD Formatter  (Read 22651 times)

colinmackenzie

Re: Windows 10 & SD Formatter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 06:48:43 pm »
Hi Richard,

Are you extracting directly on to the SD Card?

If so, try extracting to a folder on your PC then copy the files across to the SD card.

Colin

Richard

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 08:15:32 pm »
Thank you Colin, Yes I have tried all that. Same problem. It just seems to be window 10 that will not format the sd cards properly. I have tried the cards i'm ready using in the PI and also new Kingston results are always the same. I will have to get my laptop Graphics fixed.

There is another user of windows 10 having the same problem. I have looked at the supported operating systems for SD Formatter and there is no mention of windows 10. It must not be supported yet but some users it seemed to work ok for them. But the question to them is can you install PilotAware from a SD card formatted using SD Fromatter with windows 10 ?
Richard.
Europa XS

Richard

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 08:29:09 pm »
Re previous posts.     Tried again, reloaded the formatter4.  No success.
The micro sd card I used has been previously formatted with my samsung andriod tab.
l asume this may be the reason why.

I am to long in the tooth regarding computers so always asume I have screwed up.

ErricC, All,
    Fixed It, Erric, If you right click on the shortcut for the SD Formater program on your Desktop, and select "Restore provisos versions" then under "Compatibility" you can select the operating system you want and use it to run the SD Formater, Windows 7 worked for me. Can you give it a go to see if it will fix yours too,

Thank You. All.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:48:27 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Ian Melville

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 10:47:23 pm »
Ian the problem seems to be when you extract the Pilotaware files onto the formatted sd card and try to run a new setup on a pilotaware pi. Can you try this as though you were setting it up for the first time or a version updates using Windows 10. See if it installs on the pi.

When I said it worked fine, I meant the whole process from formatting the card through to using the PAW.

I did not need to use compatibility modes
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:21:20 am by Ian Melville »

EricC

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 05:40:40 pm »
No luck,   "There are no previous versions available"

New laptop so guess that is why

Thanks for all you help.

Ian Melville

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 06:37:45 pm »
The only possible difference I can see is that my Win10 was an upgrade from Win 7, I assume EricC's was Win10 out of the box.

Have you tried cleaning the disk with Diskpart command before formatting?

ianfallon

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 06:50:19 pm »
I think the key problem is the partitioning of the SD card rather than the formatting as such.

Am looking for free Windows partitioning software that works - if I find one I'll post a link here!

btw. If you have a Mac you can do all this with Disk Utility easily.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:17:23 pm by ianfallon »