British Forum > General Discussion

Rosetta FX

(1/3) > >>

buzz53:
Mid-December has come and gone! Is there any news on Rosetta FX launch and availability?
Alan

marioair:
can of worms question....

so the FX doesn't receive ModeC or S directly.
is there any data (either from PaW direct or from third parties) as to what proportion of conflicts you'd miss out on? I know this is a hard question to ask, as it depends on performance (location, obscuration) of the onboard system to detect and the reception of igrid for MLAT.......

steveu:
I'm flying in the SE of England (Kent/Sussex) and the majority of my audio warnings are bearingless.

However, as the interpolation for distance is just a rough one, you have to decide how much of the warning takes you to a target, and how much is a distraction. I guess I spot about 1 in 2 of the bearingless warnings at best, but then how many are behind me in a 3 axis aircraft with limited rearward visibility, which I would not be able to see anyway?

A small number of bearingless targets pop into MLAT then out again.

In the medium term most mode S transponders will move to ADS-B out or get retired when shared airspace with drones comes in...

marioair:
Thanks - that's only a partial answer though.

Yes - i agree that a chunck of the contacts i see on Rosetta are bearlngless.
The question then is, if i have an FX unit instead - how much of that do I lose. e.g. if 50% of the traffic i currently see if mode c/s and i only get 50% of that via rebroadcst (FX) then i've list 25% of the traffic i used to see.
i'm not picking fault - i'm just trying to figure out if buy a new rosetta or new rosetta fx

steveu:

--- Quote from: marioair on March 02, 2024, 02:01:54 pm ---Thanks - that's only a partial answer though.

Yes - i agree that a chunck of the contacts i see on Rosetta are bearlngless.
The question then is, if i have an FX unit instead - how much of that do I lose. e.g. if 50% of the traffic i currently see if mode c/s and i only get 50% of that via rebroadcst (FX) then i've list 25% of the traffic i used to see.
i'm not picking fault - i'm just trying to figure out if buy a new rosetta or new rosetta fx

--- End quote ---

It depends on how you have set things up. As I understand it, bearingless targets are not rebroadcast. Any C/S (not MLAT) stuff you get on Rosetta has been directly received. The mode C/S stuff you get rebroadcast is stuff that has been located by MLAT. I'm not a PAW insider and I'm just theorising here. I have also cut down on the number of things I see by configuring the PAW to limit audio alerts just to close by targets.

Bearingless stuff is, however, fed to servers so if enough ATOM stations see them, then can then be located via MLAT.

You also need to decide the quality and usefulness of a bearingless target?

I'm hoping to try a Rosetta FX soon and I'm not worried about the loss of bearingless targets. I'd have them if they were on offer but if not, I'd let them drop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version