British Forum > Technical Support

PAW audio to Trig radio

<< < (3/3)

Dave1906:
Ok,

I may be missing something that's obvious to some.  I do not know how to pair the PAW to the iPad,  however i am using Skydemon quite happily. I have not had alerts up to this point, but have now gone into the navigation options on skydemon and turned the volume for the alerts right up to full, and pressed the test button, MUCH louder now. This was at home with the iPad, so not tested in the aircraft.

Maybe this is the problem, and now with an amplifier will be the solution.

The 3.5mm jack from the PAW is wired  to my Trig radio, with an amplifier in between, very quite on the ground, I know the setup is correct because I can hear it via my radio without the iPad or skydemon switched on.

My headset is not a bluetooth version, it is a NRH, no batteries, with a 3.5mm aux in plug.

Your 3rd option, I like and will try, again maybe it has simply been a case of ensuring the traffic alerts in the volume settings  was turned up. I will try and get back to this space, thanks for your understanding.
dave

steveu:
I'm quoting elsewhere from one of the internal PAW people, the sound levels on the Raspberry Pi are low level because it's an educational targeted system, and the idea is to avoid damaging young people's hearing via overly high audio levels.

However, the audio alerts that come from the iPad running SD having nothing to do with the level set in the PAW, as I understand it, the audio alerts that SD gives are derived from the data stream from the PAW, and are set in the SD software, as are alerts for airspace.

--- Quote from: Dave1906 on January 28, 2024, 04:42:40 pm ---
Maybe this is the problem, and now with an amplifier will be the solution.

--- End quote ---

There is something wrong with the audio set up if an amplifier is needed for everything. Have you also turned up the volume on the iPad BT output to maximum? You may have to go up past a warning for higher volumes and ear damage?

JCurtis:
Have you turned the Aux audio input max volume level up on the Trig?

CliveJ:
Avoiding the radio hook up:

I have the 3.5mm socket on my headset fed by my second SD screen, an old iPhone 5 which has a 3.5 audio output.
One male 3.5 to 3.5 cable, bingo.

This presents the SD audio of the PAW traffic info along with the usual SD warnings.
It also allows phone calls to my headset from my iphone hard wired, £5 a month sim, Lebara.
I also use a Lebara £5 sim in my 4G dongle.

This is a great advantage as the bluetooth running on the headset runs the batteries down very quickly.
Obviously you need a headset with a 3.5 jack for the in/out, Lightspeed Zulu.
A second old phone, I have a few of them, and a sim with a subscription, all a bit messy I know

Good luck with your endeavours. The advantage of the handy 3.5 plug is you can pull it out in a busy circuit when the Irish lady is getting very excited.

Regards, Clive

Dave1906:
I have finally got to the bottom of the problem, thanks to Steve Uzochukwu.

The answer lies in the Trig radio itself, as Steve explained in one of his emails to me, Trig radio has a second hidden menu, I'm not directly quoting the Trig manual here, but see Para 6.2 in the manual.  If you press the MON button for 2 seconds, individual set ups can be accessed for audio and others. Included specifically is 'auxiliary input volume'. This setting was right down, I turned it all the way up, now much louder. I then piped it via the £20 amplifier from Amazon. I now can hear and control the volume of PAW via the amplifier volume itself.

On another note I also now get skydemon traffic alerts, BT receiver plugged into my NRH, however it is very quite, despite turning up volume all the way. I put this down to the AC being very noisy.
Thanks to all who posted and got me to success here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version