Author Topic: WiFi disappears  (Read 1191 times)

Ray Pearce

WiFi disappears
« on: July 14, 2023, 05:40:24 pm »
On most of my flights the PAW WiFi disappears after 20 minutes or so. Turning wifi off and on again on my tablet doesn't help - the PilotAware wifi just doesn't appear on the tablet or my phone. Cycling the power to the PAW restores the wifi signal (after the 30 second boot) but it then disappears again after a little while. I think that the unit still has power as it continues to provide GPS data to my Trig transponder. I have tried monitoring the Voltage and Freq values on the Home screen but these are always OK up until the wifi goes and then I obviously can't see them any more.
I am running iGrid but GSM is yellow on the radar screen - my phone doesn't use mobile data when it is connected to the PAW wifi (I'm going to give the Speedify app a try) - but in case there is any data available, my MAC address is B827EB10723A

Any suggestions?

Admin

Re: WiFi disappears
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 08:37:50 pm »
This sounds like a hardware fault, either due to poor power supply, or the wifi

Is this a rosetta or classic ?
Can you boot up and take a look at the home page to see if any issues are reported, and post a clear readable image here
Thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 10:27:20 pm »
Lee is the boss, so not contradicting anything he's saying, but one other little side suggestion?

If you have your phone to hand in flight, you could load a Wifi survey tool before you fly, or have it on the tablet.

When the Wifi disappears, if you have Wifi survey tool running, you can be 100% sure that the network has disappeared.

Don't forget to refresh the surveying tool before you conclude it's there/not there...

This is one example of said tool:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer

Ray Pearce

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 04:04:16 pm »
It is a Rosetta and all looks good to me on the home page. I had trouble getting the scrren shot as the wifi was only there for a few minutes.
I notice, however, that my Transponder is still receiving GPS data and my phones hotspot still shows paw connected to it.

Ray Pearce

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 04:17:22 pm »
I checked with a wifi analyzer and it really has gone