British Forum > Technical Support

Waiting for device

(1/14) > >>

Deker:
I've been using my trusty Samsung Tab4 SM-T230 running Android 4.4.2 which worked with my PAW faultlessly for several years.
Now I've "upgraded" to a Samsung A7 lite SM-T225 Android 13, I keep getting the "waiting for device message" in Sky Demon, normally after about 20 to 30 mins from start up.
Usually need to turn the tablet wifi off and back on, but once the problem starts, it repeats at random intervals. It's been like this for the past 6-9 months and not changed behaviour even with several recentish PAW firmware updates.

I'm pretty sure its a tablet issue as I've been in P2 seat with P1 running his Apple table, my Samsung flags the message but the Apple functions properly. I've also repeated the test with my phone and tablet connected, tablet flashed the message but phone continues to work fine.

As far as i can tell, bth tablets are configured the same.

Any suggestions?

ATB
Deker

steveu:
Is there an issue if the tablet is connected to a Wifi network with no Internet access? Newer versions of Android can rear up about this.

Does the tablet have a problem with connecting to open networks?

Both things to Google for with your particular model.

You can remove the open networks theory by setting a password for the PAW Wifi, then if it makes no difference, clearing it again.

Do you have Internet access/iGrid?

Tablet firmware/Android fully up to date?

exfirepro:

--- Quote from: Deker on May 12, 2023, 05:39:23 pm ---I've been using my trusty Samsung Tab4 SM-T230 running Android 4.4.2 which worked with my PAW faultlessly for several years.
Now I've "upgraded" to a Samsung A7 lite SM-T225 Android 13, I keep getting the "waiting for device message" in Sky Demon, normally after about 20 to 30 mins from start up.
Usually need to turn the tablet wifi off and back on, but once the problem starts, it repeats at random intervals. It's been like this for the past 6-9 months and not changed behaviour even with several recentish PAW firmware updates.

I'm pretty sure its a tablet issue as I've been in P2 seat with P1 running his Apple table, my Samsung flags the message but the Apple functions properly. I've also repeated the test with my phone and tablet connected, tablet flashed the message but phone continues to work fine.

As far as i can tell, bth tablets are configured the same.

Any suggestions?

ATB
Deker

--- End quote ---

Hi Derek,

Definitely sounds like a WiFi connectivity issue to me, but of course not easy to determine exactly what.

Remind me - are we talking Rosetta or PAW Classic?

When you go to 'turn the tablet WiFi off and back on' do you notice whether it has connected to something else in the plane - such as another phone? If so, it might just be a question of adjusting the PAW WiFi strength / channel from the default settings. I have just dealt with a similar issue for a mate running an 'upgraded' Classic on a Pi3 board (so not simply a faulty WiFi dongle) into an full size iPad in his Emeraude - which we seem to have resolved by reducing the PAW WiFi power from 50mW to 20mW. Take a note of the defaults before you make any changes and just change one field at a time and test fly before changing anything else - and remember to try both reducing the WiFi strength and increasing it. I can't remember, but you may also have to reboot your PAW each time for the changes to take effect.

Let us know if that helps.

Best Regards

Peter

Deker:
Thanks for the reply Steve and Expo.

My PAW classic has a password, so not an open network problem.
Samsung update the tablet more often than I use it :-)
I have been using i-grid intermittently, I haven't seen a correlation but will monitor that.

When I ON-OFF-ON the wifi it always connects to PAW, I don't see any other hotspots and have intentionally turned all other devices off which may have been more attractive to my tables wifi
Often it will connect automatically after random times from a few seconds upwards.

Maybe a "forget network" and re-enter the PAW login credentials is worth a try?

Strange thing is it always occurs after about 20 mins or more after take off.

ATB
Deker

Admin:
Android has a habit of doing this when any power/battery saving options are enabled
Try disabling

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version