British Forum > General Discussion

4G Router iGRID

(1/3) > >>

AlphaChrisJ:
So I have been testing a small 4G router, with the traditional aerials it seems to be working to 5-6kft currently, ordering some different aerials for testing. I have the router set to ‘Passthrough’ due to how the PAW is expecting a tether from a phone, currently this only allows one device to be connected to the internet. Do you think you can also add a feature to connect the iGRID via the Lan connection? This means I will be able to connect my other devices to the router and have 4G internet to phone etc at these higher altitudes? I am playing with ways to do it but I guess for others to this might be the easiest way to make it available for everyone.

CliveJ:
I'm loving the iGrid, sat on the runway with all the traffic showing around my area (almost all).

The disappointing bit is when I climb away the amount of traffic drops to very little and as I'm still suffering a bit from obscuration I'd like to see as much as possible from the iGrid for as long as possible.

I've always been annoyed with mobile phones not having an internal aerial connection or some way to increase the signal to them. Even a thick case with attenuate a signal to an iPhone. Sitting in my aluminium bath the signal is relatively good but the higher I go the more intermittent it becomes, two different phones come and go differently, same network but different position in the aircraft, at a fuel saving cruising altitude the signal is gone till I descend again. Any mobile phone geeks know how to improve signal strength with something to get outside the metal aircraft with an antenna as described above?

I too was looking at the 4G router after watching the presentation from SafeSky, to use with my PAW, though I do admire the SafeSky effort it drops out more than the iGrid does so I've not used it after a quick play when it first came out.
https://www.safesky.app/en/post/a-4g-router-in-my-aircraft

Admittedly a stand alone sim router is an expensive option but I like a gadget and if I have one that gave me iGrid up to 5K feet I'd be looking to get a 'fixed' installation into my aircraft. So could 'support' have a look at the option mentioned above?

Regards Clive (OK,  ;) Chris's Dad)

PaulSS:
Beneath my seats I have a 4G dongle with an £8/month GiffGaff sim card installed. The PilotAware network connects automatically to it and I have the network router turned on. My sim-less iPad Mini connects to the Internet (for SkyDemon 'stuff') through the PAW WIFI connection. iGrid uses the 4G dongle instead of a mobile phone hotspot.

Overall, I find the dongle more consistent at receiving the 4G signal than my iPhone (8 or XR). I do like the fact that I don't sit there trying to get the Hotspot to connect.

AlphaChrisJ:
Very nice!
Ive not found a dongle that can use external aerials? We are looking to get 4G signal as high and reliably possible.

Admin:

--- Quote from: AlphaChrisJ on March 22, 2023, 11:51:48 am ---So I have been testing a small 4G router, with the traditional aerials it seems to be working to 5-6kft currently, ordering some different aerials for testing. I have the router set to ‘Passthrough’ due to how the PAW is expecting a tether from a phone, currently this only allows one device to be connected to the internet. Do you think you can also add a feature to connect the iGRID via the Lan connection? This means I will be able to connect my other devices to the router and have 4G internet to phone etc at these higher altitudes? I am playing with ways to do it but I guess for others to this might be the easiest way to make it available for everyone.

--- End quote ---

If you connect an RJ45 into the PAW ethernet connector, this will work today
This feature has been available since 2019
Thx
Lee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version