Author Topic: Request a simpler system.  (Read 8161 times)

r_w_walker

Request a simpler system.
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:30:17 pm »
This is posted in enhancement forum.

I was lucky with my iphone got system working great BUT would prefer a stand alone system.

Iphone screen too small, iPad device too old to run SkyDemon or Runway HD. Both dependent on subscriptions to third parties.

So many combinations of display possibilities but many posts of problems with third party devices.

Is version 1 available seems to be just what I want. I have a windows CE device.

Quote from: Admin on September 16, 2015, 05:10:43 PM

Quote from: onkelmuetze on September 14, 2015, 06:09:39 AM

Might be a cool idea for a standalone box, w/o tablet. Just to draw your plane in center and then 1 mile-circles around it to display other aircrafts positions in.

End Quote

so funny, here is version 1 of PilotAware from two years ago running on a WindowsCE device

End Quote

There are still some pilots who fly VFR without GPS, iPads, etc who might be interested in an inexpensive collision avoidance device.
Power FLARM too expensive. A stand alone device would be very attractive. Especially if no chart subscription required.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:54:43 pm by r_w_walker »
South Moor Farm
Guest accommodation and airstrip.
www.southmoorfarm.co.uk. hi@southmoorfarm.co.uk
01751 460285

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Request a simpler system.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:51:57 pm »
I'd have thought it would be relatively easy to display this on the "TV screen", so that one could use whichever display one wishes attached to the PI. There could be some buttons as well for zooming in or out or increasing/decreasing the altitude you want to display.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:07:52 pm »
If somebody would be interested in taking this on as a project I would suggest hooking up to xc soar on something like a kobo mini, or one of these really cheap android tablets

So long as it supports wifi, all you need is pilotaware to stream the GPS AND Traffic data

I know this will work in xc soar with a tethered connection, I have already tested on my PC

any takers ?

Thx
Lee

chrismills

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 11:54:15 pm »
This sounds like it might be up my street. I'll take a look a this but probably won't get any time for a couple of months due to work commitments at the moment.

Chris

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 01:49:23 am »
Any takers?

Yep.

I've downloaded the Android XC Soar and got it working with the PAW. I'll start a new thread.

Would still like a plug in stand alone display though for a self contained unit!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:52:12 am by Paul_Sengupta »

scsirob

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 09:15:38 am »
I think we might be running out of USB ports quickly, but one of these may be a rather accessible option:
http://www.cartft.com/catalog/gl/111

If Lee can get the license tied to the RPi Ethernet MAC address instead of the WiFi dongle, that may free up a USB port.

The other way to go for an all-embedded solution might be one of these:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11742
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11743

In all cases the hardest part will be to make something that is readable in bright daylight.

Admin

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 09:19:20 am »
If Lee can get the license tied to the RPi Ethernet MAC address instead of the WiFi dongle, that may free up a USB port.

Hi Rob,
This is now done, I think you were right this is a better method.
In the next release the Hotspot will be based on the ETH0 MAC address (applied to the WiFi)
Licensing will work on either port ETH0/WIFI, but new licenses will be bound to the ETH0 MAC address

Building a graphics App is no mean feat, especially when so much IP is already available, I honestly cannot see the point. XC-Soar offers a free Radar type display that runs under Android.
An android device with WiFi can be obtained for next to nothing, so why not go this route ?

I just did a quick search on eBay, and you can easily get Android devices for under £30
How could you ever compete with a bespoke solution ?
The effort and time is not worth the return on investment.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:27:01 am by Admin »

scsirob

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 09:49:24 am »
In the next release the Hotspot will be based on the ETH0 MAC address (applied to the WiFi)
Licensing will work on either port ETH0/WIFI, but new licenses will be bound to the ETH0 MAC address

Excellent! Thanks Lee.

Building a graphics App is no mean feat, especially when so much IP is already available, I honestly cannot see the point. XC-Soar offers a free Radar type display that runs under Android. An android device with WiFi can be obtained for next to nothing, so why not go this route ?

I just did a quick search on eBay, and you can easily get Android devices for under £30
How could you ever compete with a bespoke solution ?
The effort and time is not worth the return on investment.
You are right that it is an extra effort that may not be worth it. But if someone else develops the display part (perhaps ports the XCSoar radar app) and it runs as a separate process on the RPi, then it may attract users that are otherwise not interested. You probably wouldn't have to even change PAW, as a display process can just connect to the local process and display traffic info from the PAW process autonomously.

As I mentioned before, I am not too keen on WiFi/Bluetooth/whater wireless in the path of flight information, simply because it is hard to diagnose if it breaks, and it can be influenced from outside. An all-in-one box may make sense for some. Example:
http://nl.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-New-PI-TFT-3-5-TFT-Touchscreen-Display-Touch-Shield-Module-for-Raspberry-Pi/1048722_2049139874.html?storeId=1048722

ianfallon

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 10:07:20 am »
Not against the idea of a complete unit per se but I find it a bit odd that someone wouldn't want a GPS tablet but would want another display device limited just to traffic which is unlikely to be much if any cheaper.

One of the great things about PAW is you have an integrated solution - one screen to glance at for GPS nav and traffic combined.

To me the focus needs to be on hardware stabilisation and testing, followed by h/w "kit" followed by built units. I imagine there are a lot of SD/EasyVFR/RunwayHD tablet users keen on a £200 box prebuilt.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:24:16 am by ianfallon »

carlp

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 10:41:44 am »
What about using one of the small 2.8" displays which interface directly onto the PI if you just want to display "local" traffic, a bit like some of the Flarm boxes? The 7" touch display is nice but I would not want another 'largish' screen in the cockpit to look at. Personally having everything in Skydemon works for me but I understand that not everybody want to use yet another system....

Carl

AlanB

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 11:46:39 am »
Not against the idea of a complete unit per se but I find it a bit odd that someone wouldn't want a GPS tablet but would want another display device limited just to traffic which is unlikely to be much if any cheaper.

One of the great things about PAW is you have an integrated solution - one screen to glance at for GPS nav and traffic combined.

I already have a GPS in my aircraft and it drives the autopilot and ADS-B out. None of the tablets have the serial ports to drive an Autopilot so I am already displaying the PAW traffic on a separate device, in my case RunwayHD.

In an ideal world I would prefer to drive my onboard AVMAP with the output from the PAW so it can display the traffic. This was raised in another thread I believe and there are other GPS, the Garmin 695 etc that also have the ability to take traffic data stream and display on the actual GPS.

The format is the challenge, it can be either RS232 or USB(Preferred) and the data format is whatever was used by the Zaon XRX.

If thats not possible then a small display with traffic, overlaying a map or via a graphical circle, on a display the size of a phone is the next step as filling the cockpit with larger displays is not practical.

Europa XS Mode-S ADS-B out enabled.

Admin

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 02:39:29 pm »
As I mentioned before, I am not too keen on WiFi/Bluetooth/whater wireless in the path of flight information, simply because it is hard to diagnose if it breaks, and it can be influenced from outside. An all-in-one box may make sense for some. Example:
http://nl.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-New-PI-TFT-3-5-TFT-Touchscreen-Display-Touch-Shield-Module-for-Raspberry-Pi/1048722_2049139874.html?storeId=1048722

If somebody were to take the initiative and build something which is capable of taking the socket data from PilotAware on port 2000 (traffic and GPS), I could embed that same functionality directly into PilotAware so that it just takes the data on an internal socket connection