Author Topic: Barometric Sensor  (Read 12673 times)

the_top_pilot

Re: Barometric Sensor
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 09:20:25 am »
Lee,

How do you confiqure the Pressure sensors? I use the hobbytronics ones straight out of the packet.

Steve

Admin

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 09:42:17 am »
Lee,

How do you confiqure the Pressure sensors? I use the hobbytronics ones straight out of the packet.

Steve

Hi Steve
When I say configure, I am referring to the software configuration.
There are lots of registers which need to be initialized to certain values during the software startup

Thx
Lee

DanDare

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 07:04:56 pm »
I have the HT sensor attached to my PAW unit and the QNH seems to be wandering around from 1027 to 1034

I am between London City and Stansted who are both reporting QNH 1029 on the current TAF

Is anyone else seeing these wandering values on a HT baro board?

I have quite a long ribbon cable attached, I wonder if this might be causing an issue?

DanDare

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 07:48:55 pm »
Looks like it might be down to the amt of satellites that can be seen at any one time which is causing the gnss altitude to change?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 09:10:10 pm »
I think so, I think the calculated QNH relies on the GPS altitude. The GPS altitude with the GPS dongles doesn't seem to be that accurate.

Admin

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 09:16:50 am »
This is correct the QNH is estimated by comparing the GPS Altitude and Barometric Altitude.
So the important figure is actually the Barometric Altitude

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 11:37:38 am »
Can the browser display be updated to have the barometric pressure displayed in the field as well as what's currently there? Just a thought!

Admin

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 12:15:03 pm »
Can the browser display be updated to have the barometric pressure displayed in the field as well as what's currently there? Just a thought!

At the moment it prints the following
Code: [Select]
Pressure Altitude (BMP) | Enabled (Auto) QNH=1025mb QNE=-124ft GNSS=229ft
As already discussed the QNH is estimated based upon the relative GPS/Baro Altitude.
Are you asking for the Barometric pressure from the sensor ?
If so that is not easy, the sensor is modal, and can be configured for Altitude, or Pressure.
So it would need re-initializing and then require settling time to perform the calculations for each reading

so in effect you would need to do the following

Code: [Select]
Initialize for Altitude
Settle ...
Read Altitude
Initialize for Pressure
Settle ...
Read Pressure

That would take quite some time I think, I guess it could be run in a separate thread so as not to impact the main thread.
What is the reasoning behind the question ?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:17:29 pm by Admin »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 02:15:51 pm »
Ok, didn't realise that. I was thinking about just calculating it to display it!  :)

The thoughts were about having a reference value displayed to avoid confusion with the calculated QNH. Just as a troubleshooting/for interest item.

rodent0_2

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 09:45:20 am »
so far so good with this Ardfruit thing. Fit the gps dongle the other day all worked first time.
Nick

Aircreation Tanarg G-CHFT