Author Topic: Unable to connect tablet or phone to Pilotaware to update  (Read 6632 times)

pioneer

Unable to connect tablet or phone to Pilotaware to update
« on: September 27, 2020, 07:57:45 pm »
Help please, have classic PilotAware which has been working ok but now seems to connect erratically.
Have taken unit out of aircraft and now running on desk at home. it occasionally connects but cannot access USB or internet so cannot update via USB.
When it does not connect I get messages such as"http request not supported " I also get this message when trying to save a change in the configuration or if I try to change to traffic or any other page.
Does not seem to be any rhyme or reason .
My tablet and phone show that they are connected to the Pilotaware wifi.
I know this all sounds a bit disjointed but nothing is consistent.

exfirepro

Re: Unable to connect tablet or phone to Pilotaware to update
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 08:36:05 pm »
Hi pioneer,

Can I ask what type of tablet and phone. Are you aware of the ongoing issues with recent Apple firmware releases reported elsewhere on here. Could this be the problem you are experiencing?

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 09:54:42 pm »
This issue is Android I would assume
There is an incompatibility introduced by the latest Android browser
This is fixed in 2020 release

In the meantime do you have access to. PC or iOS device?

Thx
Lee

pioneer

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 10:00:27 am »
Thanks for coming back to me.
I use an Android tablet  and android phone my iphone only runs ios ver12 so cannot use update app.
my phone is running android 10 and tablet android 5.1.1, neither have given a problem before.
I use android Chrome as my browser, am trying to update with usb stick but cannot get access via 192.168.1.1.
I have access to pc running win 10.
thanks
Brian

Admin

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 11:17:03 am »
Hi Brian

Please try your windowsPC
If you update your software to the 20200916 release, this has a fix for the Android browser issue

pioneer

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 12:15:36 pm »
Hi will try when I get home.
At the airfield at moment and tried to update with an iPhone, similar problem, the WiFi keeps cutting in and out, stayed connected long enough to update via the iPhone but cannot connect WiFi cutting in and out!!!

Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 03:09:21 pm »
Thats very odd, can you get a connection for long enough to take a screenshot of the home page ?
This may give some indication

pioneer

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 04:16:33 pm »
Hi
Update carried out ok with Iphone, checking config page and update shows as installed but wifi keeps cutting in and out
thus loosing the setup page, will open the unit and check for dry joints and cracked tracks or it could be the usb wifi module can I obtain one from PilotAware shop or are they freely available?
Will keep you advised.
Thanks   Brian

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 10:59:02 pm »
Hi Brian,

One other test to try is to power the unit up without the 1090 SDR and GPS, just to check that there is no interference to the WiFi. If you are convinced it’s the WiFi chip, you can get a replacement from the PilotAware Shop on www.pilotaware.com . I’m always wary of buying elsewhere as it needs to have the correct chipset and you can’t always trust random internet suppliers.

Best Regards

Peter

pioneer

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 12:58:14 pm »
Hi
Have the PilotAware unit out of aircraft on desk at home, yesterday it worked intermittently, tried this morning with only wifi dongle, have checked the boards for dry joint and broken tracks ,nothing obvious .
With only the wifi dongle and power plugged in looking through holes in end of case i can see flashing red light bottom left and another flashing red on the board above it and occasionally a flashing green. still no wifi connection.
Brian

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 01:12:34 pm »
Hi Brian,

Flashing red light at lower left (opposite side to the P3i antenna) indicates a power issue. This LED should be constant red. You should also see a green one - also at lower left, which is the disk access light. This will be on and off intermittently during power-up then only on infrequently during operation. The upper LEDs on the Bridge will show red until a GPS fix is achieved (obviously not achievable without the GPS dongle) then changes to flashing or fixed green when the unit is operational.

Back to the power issue. What are you powering it from?

Is the microUSB Connection tight in the socket?

Do you have another ‘decent quality’ power cable you can try (temporarily)?

Try removing the WiFi dongle and reboot - does this make any difference to the power situation (you obviously won’t be able to connect without the WiFi). Don’t reinsert the WiFi dongle without powering off the unit first.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:27:33 pm by exfirepro »

pioneer

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 01:42:45 pm »
Hi Peter
Power from  240 volt / 5Volt 10Watt charger also tried pwer bank with 2.1 amp output and originally from aircraft supply via plumbed in 5 volt supply( worked on this for a couple of years ok).
Microusb tight in socket.
Have tried various power cables including the one supplied with the unit which is used in the aircraft setup.
Have tried with and without wifi dongle as you suggested, no different, have also tried with another Wifi dongle.
Have also tried my unit in my friends aircraft with all his power/wifi/gps etc. still no joy.

Regards  Brian

Admin

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 05:21:20 pm »
This is leaning towards a hardware fault
Just to check, can you power up whilst connected to an HDMI monitor / tv
this may give some indication

Good behavior should be a 'rainbow' boot screen followed by a stream of console booting messages

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 06:12:04 pm »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update. Your tests should certainly have shown up if a power cable or power supply issue was present and would also appear to rule out a fault with your WiFi, SDR or GPS dongles.

Looking forward to hear what happens when you boot up the unit with a monitor or tv screen attached as Lee has suggested.

The boot messages he mentions should continue (with a few relatively brief pauses) through to a point where a ‘login’ prompt appears. (You don’t actually log in, but this is the point where the unit is fully booted up, the WiFi Hotspot appears and the unit starts to run normally.)

Best Regards

Peter

pioneer

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 07:24:07 pm »
Hi Lee and Peter
Powered up with hdmi connected , just rainbow screen flashing up nothing else!!!
Power light comes up solid red with an occasional  flashing green next to it.
Regards   Brian