Author Topic: No aircraft at any height  (Read 2458 times)

Faulknem

No aircraft at any height
« on: September 26, 2020, 02:35:27 pm »
Hello, I've just upgraded to PAW version 20200906. Running PAW via Skydemon I don't see any aircraft. Flightradar24 displays plenty crossing the Wash. PAW Height set to +50,000. Any suggestions?

Admin

Re: No aircraft at any height
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 04:03:15 pm »
Hi

Please post screenshots of following pages
Home
Configure
Traffic

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 04:11:03 pm »
Also,

What are you running SkyDemon on?

If it’s an iPad (or iPhone), which one, and what Apple firmware version is it running?

What do you have ‘Show Within Vertically’ set to in SkyDemon/Setup/Navigation Options?

Can you connect to the PAW ‘Traffic’ Screen on your tablet (via 192.168.1.1 - after connecting to your PAW WiFi)?

Is PAW showing traffic on the Traffic Screen?

Can you see the traffic on the PAW ‘Radar’ Screen?

Regards

Peter

Faulknem

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 10:52:39 pm »
1. Skydemon
2. Samsung Android Tablet
3. Traffic & Radar display aircraft info
4. Home
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:57:13 pm by Faulknem »

Faulknem

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:54:20 pm »
1. Config
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:57:31 pm by Faulknem »

Faulknem

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 10:56:28 pm »
1. Traffic

Faulknem

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 11:01:53 pm »
What do you have ‘Show Within Vertically’ set to in SkyDemon/Setup/Navigation Options? "5,500 feet. Now set at 45,000 and aircraft are visible."

Many thanks...

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 07:48:33 am »
Hi Faulknem,

Thanks for the feedback. As you have discovered, the traffic you previously reported as showing on FR24 but not on SD was just too high for SD to display on its previous settings.

Most of your PAW settings look fine, though I would make the following suggestions.

1. In general, leave all range and altitude settings as wide as possible in PAW configure, and set your chosen ranges in your display software. With SkyDemon, however, you need to choose your vertical and horizontal reporting range for Bearingless Traffic (Mode C and S Transponders) in PilotAware as SD doesn’t have appropriate settings. I normally run mine on Medium Range and +/- 2000 ft, though it is useful to have both wide open initially so you get used to seeing (and hearing) the reports. SkyDemon BTW normally has ‘Show Bearingless Targets’ Disabled by default so you need to check this in SD/Navigation Options, or the Mode C / S target warning rings won’t be displayed.

2. You have ‘Mode CS’ selected (without filter) so you presumably have no transponder (or you would need to use the ‘+ filter’ setting).

3. The +/- 50,000 ft vertical display range you have set in ‘Configure’ only applies to Bearingless Mode C or S Aircraft. Height Settings for known position aircraft (P3i, ADSB, FLARM and Mode S/3D) are determined in SkyDemon Navigation Options, as we have already shown, NOT in PilotAware.

4. I would also suggest enabling ‘Mode S /3D if you want to see Positional reports for Mode S Aircraft via your local ATOM GRID Ground Stations - a fantastic improvement IMHO.

5. If enabling Mode S/3D, you should also change your ‘Display Traffic Info’ setting to ‘Alternate’ as this then alternates between the aircraft Reg and ‘M’ to confirm it is an MLAT position. Rebroadcast FLARM targets will also alternate between their own ID and ‘G’, so you are aware that they are rebroadcast not direct reports.

6. I notice you have ‘Group ID’ set to you own Reg. This will achieve absolutely nothing as your own aircraft Reg is never displayed. This setting is intended to identify other PilotAware-equipped aircraft if left on the default ‘PAWGRP’ or colleagues with PilotAware from you own Club or Flyout Group if you all set the same agreed ‘Group ID’ (see the full setup instructions on www.pilotaware.com ).

Making these changes should significantly improve the usefulness and effectiveness of your unit. Don’t forget to ‘Save’ the changes for them to take effect.

Finally, there is an obvious ‘voltage’ and ‘throttling’ warning in the Status Line on the Home Screen, which indicates a power supply issue of some sort. This needs addressing. The ‘Warning’ reports indicate that this is ‘historic’, i.e. not happening when the screenshot was taken. What sort of power supply are you using? It is essential that the supply voltage never drops below 5 Volts at any time. Other potential check points are poor quality supply cable or a loose connection - possibly at the Rosetta end. If not tracked down and addressed, this is likely to cause poor performance or failure at a critical point.

Hope this all helps clarify the setup, both for yourself and for others reading this thread.

Best Regards

Peter
p.s. please do come back to us re the Voltage warning issue - it is very important that this is resolved.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:27:13 am by exfirepro »

Faulknem

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 10:19:50 am »
Many thanks for the PAW suggestions etc.

I have a Anka 12 hour power pack but was using a different power source when taking the screen shots.

Regards MikeF

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 08:04:37 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thought that might have been the case. Glad to have been of assistance.

Best Regards

Peter