Author Topic: UDP/TCP  (Read 2941 times)

Merlin29

UDP/TCP
« on: March 08, 2020, 02:24:36 pm »
Hello. The instructions say

If your PilotAware is currently running 20190621 software, please follow this step.
Open your tablets web browser (i.e Safari, Chrome) and visting the PilotAware configuration page on 192.168.1.1.
Scoll down the configuration page to 'Device Connection Settings' and choose, 'PilotAware UDP.

What does this do, and how does it impact different devices connecting and using different Flight Bags. E.g in our syndicate I’m using an iPad mini with Skydemon. Someone else is using a Android Tablet with Runway HD.

exfirepro

Re: UDP/TCP
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 05:34:41 pm »
Hi Merlin,

The main difference between using the TCP and UDP protocol is that if the ‘Flarm TCP’ connection drops out it has to be manually reconnected, whereas the ‘PilotAware UDP’ option should reconnect automatically (as long as the PAW signal is still present).

This should perform the same irrespective of tablet type or which Nav System is in use, which is why we now recommend using PilotAware UDP unless there is a particular reason not to.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 09:55:27 am »
Hi Merlin

If you are connecting by FLARM or PilotAware - set this to PilotAware/UDP
this will suit all the EFB's you list

If you are connecting via GDL90 (this does not support bearingless targets), then select GDL90/UDP

Thx
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 11:31:31 am »
Hi Lee,

I’m using the EasyVFR EFB, and have it set to receive PAW via GDL90 so I can receive Mode S 3D alerts. I’m sure that with this setting I also receive bearingless targets via EVFR “banner alerts” on my IPad Mini2. Is this not correct, or is it a bonus because it’s a different  EFB to Sky Demon and Tim is not supportive of the concept?

Thx,

Chris

Admin

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 07:55:47 pm »
Hi Chris

Apologies, you are absolutely correct
We added this feature with the pocketfms guys
SkyDemon ignores the overloaded data we provide in GDL90 which is used in EasyVFR

In fact ambiguity rings are also present for ModeS3d
Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 07:57:27 pm by Admin »

Merlin29

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 06:15:51 pm »
Hello, thought I’d post in this thread as it might be related. I flew with PAW for the first time this afternoon. I have mounted PAW in a GT450 microlight following exfirepro’s instructions. I’m using one if the recommended Anker power packs. Generally all good - I saw an aircraft 200ft below on a converging path on SkyDemon well before I saw with my eyeball. Fantastic!

About 5 times when flying I noticed ‘Connecting to Device’ flash up on SkyDemon. It went away within a second or two. There don’t seem to be any gaps in my SkyDemon trace. Connection is set to UDP Pilotaware. The iPad mini is mounted on the front strut, the PAW in the same place as advised - in the pod, near where the front strut comes through. So very close.

iPad is iPad mini 2, running 12.4.5. Attached is photo of status page which seems to show everything is ok with PAW?

Admin

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 12:49:14 pm »
iPad is iPad mini 2, running 12.4.5. Attached is photo of status page which seems to show everything is ok with PAW?
From the Picture, all looks perfect.

By any chance were any other devices connected to PAW.
We have seen issues sometimes if another device had connected at some point in the past eg, a mobile phone ?
What can happen is that if another device goes into standby mode, it wakes up every minute or so and re-connects to PAW, causing a stutter

If you can supply the track file from the flight (described in user guide) I can take a look to see if I can determine anything

Thx
Lee

Merlin29

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 05:58:11 pm »
I will download the track file tomorrow. I have personal hotspot switched off on my iPad so my phone shouldn’t connect, but even though I have this turned off, the iPad mini still appears in my list of available WiFi networks on my iPhone. I think this is because the same iCloud account is being used. Maybe the track file will show something.

Merlin29

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 03:52:57 pm »
Tried to send file but it is too large. 2MB. What is best way of sending. A PM doesn’t seem to allow attachments either. Thanks.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 04:53:48 pm »
Easiest method is probably dropbox or google drive
Thx
Lee

Merlin29

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 03:35:33 pm »
I've added another two track files to the dropbox folder today that I PM'd you on Sunday. I switched my phone off today, and I didn't get a repeat of the connection dropping again. Next time I fly I will leave phone on and see if it makes a difference. If you can review my trackfiles from today that would be great. ADS-B reception is robust. I'm not sure if my PAW reception is working as expected. The tracks of PAW traffic are very intermittent. Not sure if this is normal. Also, I can only see one groundstation on the Tracks. Is this normal? Thanks!