British Forum > General Discussion

Aircraft Flying Backwards

(1/3) > >>

SGS66:
I have a track log which when played on Aircrew has an aircraft flying backwards on final. If anybody wants to debug the file I will send it via email. As it happens I know the aircraft concerned and checked. The pilots were using SE2 and they were navigating their flight with SkyDemon using SE2 to give them the GPS data and traffic and that all was fine as far as they were concerned.

They assure me they were not flying backwards on final. Actually after landing on 'roll out' their aircraft was going forward.

This is not the only time I have seen this phenomena.

The pilots also said that their SE had tracked my aircraft which has a Garmin 330 ES mode S transponder ie with ADS-B out.

Admin:
Hi SGS66

unfortunately the track log is after decoding, and this is an error before decoding.

The track is determined by the ADS-B reported velocity E/W and N/S
https://mode-s.org/decode/adsb/airborne-velocity.html

At the heart of the ADSB decode is dump1090, this is used by every ADSB decoder in the world!
so if the track is incorrect, it is the ADSB transmission

You say flying backwards, are you sure it was not NORTH up ?
This would indicate no velocity component for E/W or N/S

Thx
Lee

AlanG:
Lee

I have never seen this happen in my EFB in flight but do often see a/c apparently flying backwards when monitoring my OGN-R via VRS and I think I have seen it when simultaneously monitoring my EFB connected to my static PAW but assumed it may be due to it being static.

Regards
Alan

Admin:

--- Quote from: AlanG on March 09, 2020, 10:48:32 am ---Lee

I have never seen this happen in my EFB in flight but do often see a/c apparently flying backwards when monitoring my OGN-R via VRS and I think I have seen it when simultaneously monitoring my EFB connected to my static PAW but assumed it may be due to it being static.

Regards
Alan

--- End quote ---

I think there are a number of issues with transponders getting this wrong.

I think there are 2 buggy versions of Funke transponder firmware
one release has planes always pointing North
the other release has the planes pointing backwards

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville:
I had an RV overtake me, going backwards E-W. I think he had a Funke Transponder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version