Author Topic: Understanding Aircrew Playback Nomenclature / ModeS3D  (Read 2022 times)

davidbu99

Understanding Aircrew Playback Nomenclature / ModeS3D
« on: July 27, 2019, 01:37:01 pm »
I've been lucky to complete about 5 hours of flying with the latest software release. This includes flying within range of at least three OGN-R ground stations. I'm trying to understand what additional traffic I may have received as a result of the latest software. In the attached I show an example of an a/c close to Compton Abbas. In Aircrew it shows:

Registration
A = Mode A
C = Mode C
S = Mode S
P = Pilotaware???
U = ???
M = MLAT ???

Is there any documentation for the Mode letters / indicators we would see in Aircrew and/or also in the Traffic Status screen of PAW?

Similarly, what might I see in the Track file that shows "uplink" data?

Lastly, in Aircrew Playback, as you move close to a Ground Station, it illuminates with a green beacon - does this indicate receipt of uplink data? If so, the range seems very limited.

Sorry for all these questions in the Technical section of the Forum but the latest release is an amazing piece of work bringing a lot of in-flight information - I'm keen to understand how the ModeS3D is helping! Thanks for the great work.

Brooklands

Re: Understanding Aircrew Playback Nomenclature / ModeS3D
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 10:28:16 am »
David,

I think you'll find the answer in this thread on page 2

Brooklands

SGS66

Re: Understanding Aircrew Playback Nomenclature / ModeS3D
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 08:07:46 pm »
The above thread may supply some answers but David’s question about the Ground Station with green highlight is not answered on that thread. I am hoping that somebody will answer. Many thanks to ‘Aircrew’ for his very useful software.
Phil