Author Topic: Aircrew display  (Read 2078 times)

Dave jones

Aircrew display
« on: July 24, 2019, 08:36:54 pm »
Has anyone invested in the Aircrew instrument?. If so how well does it work and can you recommend it. Any information would be helpful.
Many thanks Dave

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
Re: Aircrew display
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 07:12:36 pm »

I have an Aircrew due for delivery this week (it was delayed).

It can either run as an attitude indicator on a 12v supply, or it can run as a PAW display via a USB connection with the PAW.  In the latter case, it draws 5v supply through your PAW unit, so you need to make sure your PAW DC supply is adequate.  The PAW draws about 5 W, while the Aircrew draws nearly 3W - so your DC converter needs to supply 8W minimum (double that for peak demands).   A 2.5A supply on the 5v side should do it.

Unlike the PAW, the Aircrew is voltage impervious, accepting 9 to 18v.  It achieves this via a regulator, which is great for reducing magnetism effects on the internal flux-sensors, but is electrically lossy.  A PAW with a regulator would push power consumption up to 6 or 7W.

I aim to test the Aircrew as soon as it arrives, so will report further.

RE

Ian Melville

Re: Aircrew display
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 08:16:11 pm »
There is no reason why you cannot feed the power through the Power jack on the back of the Aircrew (or RJ45) from the aircraft 12V Bus. You can also connect to your PAW hotspot via WiFi IIRC.

Personally, I would keep the power drain through the PAW to a minimum.