Author Topic: Wi-FI failure  (Read 2973 times)

Seeley21

Wi-FI failure
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:34:09 pm »
I keep losing the wi-fi signal on my Classic. I am pretty sure it is temperature related even though I have the wi-fi on a short lead away from the case and GPS dongle. Is it possible to source a more robust dongle?

exfirepro

Re: Wi-FI failure
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 07:42:45 am »
Hi Seeley,

It’s probably a sign that the WiFi dongle is packing in, either because it has developed a fault itself, or it may be getting affected by one of the other nearby components (e.g. the 1090 SDR dongle) overheating.

Can you see the WiFi Hotspot at all? If so, please take a screenshot of the PAW Home Screen (via 192.168.1.1) and post it here so we can see what is going on.

Fix Options are:-

1. Try a replacement WiFi dongle.

2. Check and replace the 1090MHz SDR if faulty.

3. Upgrade your Classic to a Raspberry Pi 3 Motherboard (which has onboard WiFi), but you will also still need to replace the SDR if it is faulty.

4. Upgrade to a new Rosetta and enjoy the benefits of Pi3 with onboard WiFi and Bluetooth Audio, faster processing and a more reliable ‘low-power’ SDR. (There is a ‘trade-in’ upgrade option, where the core of your old Classic will be refurbished and donated to help set up another new OGN-R station).

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 08:04:39 am »
Is this a change in previous behaviour?

what software version is PAW running ?

Finally, what navigation device do you use ?

Thx
Lee

Seeley21

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 06:05:03 pm »
Can't take a screen shot of the PAW because the tablet states there is no connection. I can't upgrade with the Trade in option because they are out of stock. I can buy a Startech : USB300WN2X2C Wi-Fi dongle from RS Components. Expensive but will it do the job?

Using the latest software

davidbu99

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 06:18:22 pm »
I have a spare USB WiFi adapter from my old Classic setup you are welcome to. DM me your address and I'll drop it in the post. I'd encourage a full upgrade to the Rosetta though when you can.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:24:26 pm »
Hi Seeley,

The standard Classic WiFi dongle is a Realtek, using an RTL2838 chipset. The one you link to specs an RTL8192 chipset, so may not work.

David’s offer of a spare to see if that solves your problem sounds a good option. The Rosetta ‘Trade-in’ Upgrades should also be back in stock soon.

Regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 10:02:48 pm »
I think you're mixing up your dongles, Peter. The RTL2838 is the SDR (radio) dongle interface chip (with the R820T being the tuner chip on the radio dongle).

The one you want is RT5370.

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 12:13:45 am »
Thanks Paul,

I’m obviously suffering from Brain Fade - my excuse - I’ve been on hols with 4 of the Grandkids for a week and trying to keep up with the Forum when I get a free minute. Hopefully I’ll be back to normal in a few days.....

Sorry for any confusion Seeley  :(

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 06:40:37 am by exfirepro »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 12:52:49 am »
I’ve been on hols with 4 of the Grandkids for a week

Ah, I can see how the brain isn't necessarily focused!  ;)