Author Topic: PilotAware Rosetta- Trig TT21- Wiring Loom - F I X E D  (Read 15102 times)

Giver

Re: PilotAware Rosetta- Trig TT21- Wiring Loom
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2019, 06:36:07 pm »
Hi Graham
All I can say is using the correct cable from farnell there is definitely a orange wire and I believe a yellow one,
Are you sure they used (A) the correct cable and (B) used the correct orange wire from it?
As peter has said there are a lot of counterfeit cables out there on Ebay that won’t work,

Giver

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 06:57:44 pm »
Just checked on Farnell and the correct cable does have both yellow and orange, so it looks like you used the wrong lead from the cable,

Giver

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 07:29:52 pm »
This is a picture of the correct lead

JCurtis

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 07:36:11 pm »
I'd be dubious of some of those crimps.  The cable outer should be crimped too, to help act as strain relief.
When the wire is stripped correctly the crimp should form a strong connection.

The pic is from Molex different type of crimp, but the principle is the same.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

exfirepro

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 07:46:02 pm »
Hi Graham,

Sorry, I’ve been busy wallpapering all day. I just checked your pic. It should definitely be the Orange wire from the FTDI cable - TX Data Out from the PAW - (see the FTDI Data sheet here.... https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/1384/0900766b81384572.pdf ) that goes to pin5 on the Trig 25 pin connector, so that will be your problem. The Yellow wire is Rx Data IN - which we use to transfer data from for example FLARM units INTO PilotAware, so that definitely won’t work.

WRT the Baud rates, as long as the FTDI Port and the Transponder are both set to the same rate (normally 4,800 or 9,600 unless the Transponder Instructions say otherwise) there is no relationship to any of the other port settings, which should all be on 4,800 or Auto.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:49:40 pm by exfirepro »

Gramac

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 07:49:03 pm »
Thanks,

I bought the cable direct from Mendelssohn and they charged me £80 for it, so I will contact them to find a solution.  Pretty annoyed if after paying that amount, they’ve supplied the incorrect kit. Danny was helpful though.

Regards,

Graham.

Gramac

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2019, 07:52:54 pm »
Correction, £42 + VAT for the additional cable.

exfirepro

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2019, 07:53:06 pm »
Graham,

Pretty sure they have supplied the right kit - just connected the wrong wire. You can’t easily swap the pins without the correct (expensive) tools, but if Danny is agreeable, you could easily clip off the yellow wire but leave a short stub attached to the pin, then carefully strip the insulation and connect (solder) the Orange wire to this stub, which would prove the point.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:55:39 pm by exfirepro »

Gramac

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2019, 07:56:45 pm »
Thanks Peter,

We all make mistakes, so I’ve emailed Danny to see what he suggests.  If it is a case of simply soldering the orange wire onto the yellow in the connector, then that’s not too much of an inconvenience, easier than wallpapering and hopefully a final solution.

I will keep you posted.

Appreciate your support.

Graham

Gramac

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2019, 12:33:37 pm »
I’ve spoken to Danny at Mendelssohn (what a good guy), he accepts he has used the wrong cable and suggested that in the absence of a pin removing tool, domas has been suggested in that I snip the yellow wire, strip it and solder the orange data cable instead.  Fingers crossed then and I will keep you updated.

Thanks

Graham

exfirepro

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 03:21:58 pm »
Hi Graham,

Yes, you are right there - Danny is a really great guy. He couldn't be more helpful and is VERY knowledgeable - but unfortunately he's also usually very harassed by a high workload (which is of course good for Mendelssohn's).  He will be mortified that he has connected the wrong wire! I'm pretty sure it won't have caused any issues though.

Just solder carefully and all will be fine  :)

Best Regards

Peter

Gramac

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2019, 07:14:53 pm »
All sorted I’m pleased to report.  Just have to now recalibrate my altimeter as ATC said I was 300ft higher than I was reporting to them !  Another job !

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.

Graham

exfirepro

Re: PilotAware Rosetta- Trig TT21- Wiring Loom - F I X E D
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 10:49:04 pm »
Thanks Graham,

Great to know it’s now sorted.

Best Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2019, 09:41:11 am »
Just have to now recalibrate my altimeter as ATC said I was 300ft higher than I was reporting to them !  Another job !
Possibly nothing to do with PAW, but I am confused by this comment. PAW feeds altitude with ref to 1013.2mb to your transponder. How does ATC know how high you are, did you read them your Altimeter and what knollsman setting were you using?

Gramac

Re: PilotAware Rosetta- Trig TT21- Wiring Loom - F I X E D
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2019, 10:45:15 am »
No not a PA issue. I now need to recalibrate my altimeter and then set transponder to that.