Author Topic: Analysing track/ traffic post flight  (Read 2784 times)

Moffrestorer

Analysing track/ traffic post flight
« on: September 03, 2019, 01:02:57 pm »
Hi team,

I had a close encounter on the way to the Rally with a bearingless target (Mode C presumably) as I received solely an Audio Traffic alert of the bogey. The PAW is fixed behind the aircraft panel and I tried to download the track file to a USB stick. However the browser page was telling me that a USB stick was not detected. Plugging the stick into a Windows laptop today, Windows wants the drive to be formatted, so any data downloaded would be lost, anyway.

I read somewhere on the forum that you can download the track file direct to your tablet from the PAW browser. I did this also, but cannot subsequently find the file on my IPad Mini 2. Sorry to be so thick, but I presumed that it would have been stored, so I could check it via the Aircrew web-site.

What am I doing wrong? As the alert was for a bearingless target, would analysing the track file give me any further info regarding time/ position / height etc of the encounter?

Admin

Re: Analysing track/ traffic post flight
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:42:56 pm »
Hi Moffrestorer

Where the track is stored on your favorite device is out of our control I'm afraid, but is possible to be saved to a MAC, PC, iPad, Android etc
Yes Mode C/S is stored in the track and can be seen on aircrew viewer

Thx
Lee

Chrisboz

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 04:53:02 pm »
Hi Moffrestorer

I had the same issue on mini iPad, I eventually downloaded it on the iPad to an app, in my case it was a PowerPoint app, then when looking for it on aircrew etc I searched via the PowerPoint app and was able to load it to aircrew to view it, sometimes had to do it a couple of times to load but it did work, I suppose any app that accepts that type of file would work, I’m no expert but it worked for me!

Chris

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 10:14:57 pm »
I don't often need to do this as I can bring my PAW home, but what you can do is use dropbox app.
Click the download button for that track.
select More...
Save to dropbox
choose a folder location and click save.

Once your iPad/iPhone has a 3G or wifi connection to the internet it will upload the file so you can retrieve it from your Dropbox folder.

SGS66

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 08:39:55 pm »
Another way whilst at the plane, is to use the browser on your phone to download the trk data then email the trk to yourself using your mobile data service on your phone. Then (sat in your armchair) read your email on your PC and save the trk file  to the Desktop (say, if you are using windows) and let AIRCREW do the rest. No need for Dropbox with this method.

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 07:14:37 am »
Aren't the track files too large for most email systems?

SGS66

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 10:42:36 am »
I have an iPhone and an o2 data service. I email myself using an old Hotmail account and the biggest
trk file I have emailed to myself is 12.7 mb. Actually this was two flights but all one trk file as I forgot to disconnect the power bank from the Rosetta! So I got all the traffic at the airfield whilst I was having a day walking, eating and sightseeing!

Phil