Author Topic: Changing Host-ID MAC address to aircraft registration  (Read 3893 times)

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
Changing Host-ID MAC address to aircraft registration
« on: January 26, 2019, 03:00:45 pm »
Can we change the Host-ID on the Sleap PAWs to the aircraft registration...?

We have four C-152s on the apron, all sending out PAW wifi codes, and nobody knows which one to log into.  If the MAC address was the aircraft reg, this problem would be solved.

I can change the MAC address on my PAW unit to the aircraft reg, and this works fine.  But then I will have a different MAC address to your records, when it comes to paying for the annual subscription.  Could your side be changed as well, so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet...?

Thanks,
R

AlanG

Re: Changing Host-ID MAC address to aircraft registration
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 03:40:37 pm »
Hi Roger

This can be achieved very easily in the network settings just by changing the SSID Name.
You can also set a password if desired then no one can log into your unit inadvertently.  I tend to use my a/c reg as my SSID. Simples.   ;D

Edit:  Remember if you do a full SD card update you will need to reset this again as with the other data in the configure screen.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:46:24 pm by AlanG »

rogellis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 12:27:12 pm »
>>This can be achieved very easily in the network settings just by changing the SSID Name.

Ok.  I did this and it worked fine.
But I was wondering if it would give any problems with the annual subscription, as that identifies the unit with the original unique code.

R

A_Vinning33

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 12:46:38 pm »
Hello Roger,

Changing the SSID will not affect the renewal of the PilotAware unit.
The Mac address of the PilotAware unit can be found on the PilotAware home page. The first line is labelled (HostID), is the MAC address of the PilotAware unit.

I hope this helps.

Ash

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 12:47:58 pm »
As what Ash says, No issue with the subscription.

The network name is formed from the MAC to ensure they are unique, it does not change the MAC, which is hard coded into the Pi.

Cheers
Ian

rogellis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 07:51:57 pm »
As what Ash says, No issue with the subscription.

The network name is formed from the MAC to ensure they are unique, it does not change the MAC, which is hard coded into the Pi.

The multitude of IDs and Passwords in my life makes my head spin....!

R

scsirob

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 09:12:42 pm »
There's already a field for specifying your own HEX code. I'd think it would be a relatively small change to have a second field to input the WiFi SSID you'd want to use? That could even be useful as an 'own ID' filter as that information is available in Extended Squitter data

I would love to have mine reflect the aircraft registration as well, as it is a fixed installation. Perhaps prepend "paw_" to make clear that it is a PilotAware unit.

A_Vinning33

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:22:00 pm »
Hi Scsirob,

This feature is already available. :)
Please see page 21 of the instruction manual to change the SSID.
https://pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/180520-Operating-Instructions-.pdf
Kind Regards,

Ash