Author Topic: UAT Weather  (Read 3623 times)

BlackadderIA

UAT Weather
« on: August 24, 2018, 05:52:35 pm »
I’ve been browsing around the forum looking at ways of receiving the uAvionox/SkyDemon UAT weather trial transmissions. Can’t find anything definitive so could someone confirm deny my thinking:

1. My ‘out of the box’ Rosetta can receive UAT wx already, it just doesn’t display in SkyDemon as the ‘PilotAware’ protocol doesn’t support it.

2. If I change the connection protocol to GDL90 then UAT Wx will magically appear in SD (if in range).

3. When running in GDL90 I lose bearing-less targets in SkyDemon.

If all the above is true, then could I also connect say my iPhone using ‘PilotAware’ to see bearing-less targets but also simultaneously connect my iPad using GDL90 and see the weather?

If (as I suspect) I’m totally wrong and need another dongle, another antenna or a splitter then can someone point me to the actual bits I’d need to purchase please? I don’t mind a bit of soldering but I’m not 100% on what kit I’d need to make this work.

Thanks

Ian Melville

Re: UAT Weather
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 09:04:47 pm »
All correct, except you do need an additional SDR, preferably a low power one, and a splitter.

I think the plan is to make them available in the PAW shop.

Please note that the are only three or four UAT sites running, unless you are within ten miles of the transmitters you won't see much.

BlackadderIA

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 10:02:32 pm »
Thanks Ian,
I’m planning on flying down to Gloucester and the route takes me near the trial sites, hence looking at giving it a try.
I’ll keep an eye on the PAW shop for the appropriate bits.

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 11:39:10 pm »
Didn't know there were trial sites 'up' from Gloucester?

Seanhump

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 07:37:45 am »
Site details here

https://uavionix.com/blog/uat-in-the-uk-part-iii/

5 currently running

•Milborne Port (SkyDemon Office)
•Goodwood Aerodrome
•Redhill Aerodrome
•Dunsfold Aerodrome
•Wycombe Air Park
Pilotaware user ...

BlackadderIA

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 06:24:30 pm »
Didn't know there were trial sites 'up' from Gloucester?

Good point, it’s actually Compton Abbas I was thinking of - no idea why Gloucester popped into my head!