Author Topic: Not completing Boot - 20180502 - Null Pointer dereference  (Read 15300 times)

Moffrestorer

Re: Not completing Boot - 20180502 - Null Pointer dereference
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 08:27:45 am »
HarryS, you will find that if you remove the ARF unit from the Harkwood PCB by carefully sawing lengthwise through the standoff soldered connector using a “junior hacksaw” and ensuring there are is no swarf remaining to create a short circuit, reconnect the Harkwood PCB to Pi B+, and it should run OK with the latest PAW software but purely as an ADS-B receiver!

HarryS

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 08:53:27 am »
Really?!  The thing labelled A1 ARF next to the LED....    I have a Dremel standing by....

Moffrestorer

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 08:57:30 am »
You have to remove the complete ARF board that piggybacks onto the Harkwood PCB that plugs into the Pi B+.

Admin

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 08:59:07 am »
HarryS, you will find that if you remove the ARF unit from the Harkwood PCB by carefully sawing lengthwise through the standoff soldered connector using a “junior hacksaw” and ensuring there are is no swarf remaining to create a short circuit, reconnect the Harkwood PCB to Pi B+, and it should run OK with the latest PAW software but purely as an ADS-B receiver!

Actually, I thought you were joking - but you are serious!
why not just unplug the board ?

HarryS

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 09:05:04 am »
I tried unplugging the board a while back and it still doesn’t boot, so figured there was something the software needed to access to allow things to continue... 
Desperate times now for this Classic.  I’ve been looking at this for 4 days and my will to continue is ebbing away!  Trying not to consign more old electronics to the bin marked ‘probably gets recycled’.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2018, 09:11:42 am »
Hi Lee,

Not joking.

You need the Barometric module on the Harkwood PCB to remain connected to the Pi for it to work. It’s how my “spare” PAW works, that has been useful for testing ADS-B Out installations (for which I have a software licence), and discovered by chance after I sent the ARF back as part of your original “Bridge” upgrade scheme. Havn’t wished to publicise it before as I know it’s PAW ethos to ensure P3i Tx/Rx is included, but it’s likely very few of the Harkwood PCBs are now still in circulation.

Thx,

Chris

exfirepro

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2018, 10:48:21 am »
Harry,

When in 2015 did you build your PAW? If it was after mid October, you would have already been advised not to buy the ARF board. It’s certainly beginning to sound to me like you only have the Harkwood board without the ARF, like I did on my second unit. If so, it looks like there is a fault on the Harkwood board or the RPi itself. In either case you are kind of flogging a dead horse I’m afraid.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:05:26 pm by exfirepro »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2018, 08:47:37 pm »
Ok, just for giggles, I formatted an SD card using this method:

https://www.lifewire.com/format-sd-card-using-windows-4128719

I did this as I didn't want to install the SD card formatter on my work laptop as it's very short of disk space.

So then I put it in my PI 1 B+, the one, no less, with the JCurtis ARF board in it! :o I plugged in a HDMI cable and watched on my TV as it all extracted and installed - slower than on the PI 2 or 3! It first gave an undervoltage warning as I was using one of my Poundland USB mains PSUs, but it didn't seem to cause any problems.

I can connect on Wifi but I don't have a current licence for it so everything is showing up red. It recognises the USB dongles though. ;D Don't know whether it's the licence or hardware but it isn't picking up the BMP pressure sensor pressure.

One question, having extracted the software in another Pi for the 15 mins or so it takes, can you then put the card in the Pi 1 B+ to see what happens and if it boots ok? It seems to work fine on mine with the ARF board fitted. You could have a dodgy Pi.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:49:28 pm by Paul_Sengupta »

Ian Melville

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2018, 09:20:12 pm »
Dodgy Pi, recipie for the trots  :o

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2018, 09:32:14 pm »
If you are taking the opportunity, as said on the first page, to upgrade the Pi, to a 3 maybe, and you're going to have to have a new bridge board anyway, I'm guessing the only reason for trying all this now is just for interest sake...  :D

I find experimentation fascinating though!

HarryS

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2018, 09:44:47 pm »
Yes, as Paul has pointed out, it’s not really an economic project given the cost of a new classic, but I will NOT BE BEATEN!!  I think my Pi is kaput so now patiently waiting for my 3 to arrive and then try and get hold of a bridge.  In the mean time, a Rosetta is here and have been talking to a few chaps about linking PAW to our Transponders so we can get a bit ASDB shouty with the increased wattage (as I understand it)

Yes, the micro SDs which won’t boot up the Pi are then fine in the Rosetta hence thinking the board (or the Barometer card) is toast...

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 01:09:23 am »
I got Lee to send me over a licence for my old Pi 1 B+ with the old ARF/Baro board in it (thanks Lee) using the May 2018 software. Well, it all booted up all and it all seems to work, apart from the Trx of course. The Baro seems to work ok, at least it's reporting something which looks sensible. So, I still think you have a dodgy Pi!

HarryS

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 09:13:57 am »
I now have a new Pi3 sitting on my desk so once I manage to find a USB keyboard (a thing of antiquity now) I’ll be able to install NOOBS and then try with the PAW software.  Will let you know how I get on...

Ian Melville

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2018, 09:22:08 am »
USB keyboards arn't a thing of antiquity, they are still very current :) Now PS/2 that is a different story.

When you say NOOBS, to what are you refering? PAW has it's own package and does not requre any pre installed image. We don't nornally refer to the PAW imsage as NOOBS.

HarryS

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2018, 09:37:11 am »
That’s good news.  I thought I still had to install the basic Pi OS b fore PAW but if I don’t then I won’t need a keyboard (steam driven or not ..  ;) ).  Thanks for letting me know.