Author Topic: Not completing Boot - 20180502 - Null Pointer dereference  (Read 15297 times)

HarryS

Not completing Boot - 20180502 - Null Pointer dereference
« on: July 02, 2018, 12:36:13 pm »
Hi,

I'm just getting around to updating my software and licence (done!) but as I'm a little bit behind on the updates have downloaded the 20180502 to 8GB micro SD - the same kit that has been working OK since I built the unit.  I am doing a complete software flash. 

I'm getting the following error which is stopping the boot.  I don't have a USB keyboard attached, but thinking this may be the issue have also been trying without the screen - i.e. nothing otherthan Wifi, GPS and Antenna plugged in unit in the normal config as if I were about to go flying.

The error is a Null Pointer DEreference at 00000070 - screen shot attached.

Any ideas?  Was trying to look at latest software cut and radar screen before making the decision to go for a Rosetta upgrade build pack...

Thanks,

Harry

Admin

Re: Not completing Boot - 20180502 - Null Pointer dereference
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 12:42:11 pm »
Hi Harry

Did you reformat your MicroSD card before loading the zip file contents onto the MicroSD ?

Thx
Lee

HarryS

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 12:51:39 pm »
Hi Lee,

Yes, although to be honest the recommended software didn’t seem to have the options noted in the documentation for windows 10 so having tried that twice ended up using the normal Windows 10 right click FAT32 formatting method.  Do I need to revisit the formatting?  I usually use a Mac, but fear formattingvthe disk on that will introduce a whole new world of different pain...

H

Admin

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 12:58:22 pm »
hi Harry

I think this may be the issue. you need to format using the SD card formatter
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/sdxc_formatting.md

The formatter is here
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/index.html

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 01:19:27 pm »
Lee, last time I looked Formatter 4 had been upgraded to V5 and is different, with different options. Naturally this is not reflected in the manual, which needs to be updated.

You link directs to V5

Giver

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 02:26:35 pm »
Hi Lee,

Yes, although to be honest the recommended software didn’t seem to have the options noted in the documentation for windows 10 so having tried that twice ended up using the normal Windows 10 right click FAT32 formatting method.  Do I need to revisit the formatting?  I usually use a Mac, but fear formattingvthe disk on that will introduce a whole new world of different pain...

H
FWIW i use an Imac and have no problem formatting a SD card and dropping the complete zip files to the desktop then out of the folder onto the card, it works for me,

Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 04:17:43 pm »
Lee, last time I looked Formatter 4 had been upgraded to V5 and is different, with different options. Naturally this is not reflected in the manual, which needs to be updated.

You link directs to V5

Hi Ian,
You are correct, but I think it still formats in the same manner ?
as I recall the issue is it may list some of the other disk partitions on Windows.

Thx
Lee

HarryS

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 04:59:14 pm »
Using the Windows and Mac version I use 'Overwrite format'.  The default label is 'Recovery' (although have deleted this and left it blank to see if it helps).  have done the same on mac - same issue - falls over at a null pointer dereference 00000070, 71 or 72.  Will look for another SD card - but don't seem to have anything smaller than 64GB if I dont use my 8GB card.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 05:23:30 pm »
Hi Harry
You could also try a full overwrite format (rather than a quick format) this does take a longtime, but I have seen this make a difference a couple of times in the past.
otherwise sounds like a corrupted MicroSD card.

Thx
Lee

HarryS

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 06:01:24 pm »
Hi Lee,

Quick update....

Yes, had been 'full formatting' it rather than quick formatting it, but have tried both, as well as the MiniTool Partition software.
Replaced the card today with a new one  (still 8GB Verbatim).  Still the same error, so wondering if I have something else going on now such as a fault on the Pi or bridge.  USing both a ANKER battery and a 5V Pi power pack to see if ther's anything else messing me around.  Have also tried booting without the WiFi dongle, Antenna and GPS dongle.  Will download the PA software again, just on the off chance something has corrupted during the unzipping.

Harry
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:33:35 pm by HarryS »

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 10:16:44 pm »

You link directs to V5

Hi Ian,
You are correct, but I think it still formats in the same manner ?
as I recall the issue is it may list some of the other disk partitions on Windows.

Thx
Lee

Lee,

If you are talking about Windows showing all 4 disc partitions when you try to open a microSD taken out of a PilotAware, I am still using SDFormatter4 and can confirm that this has been happening for quite a while when any card taken from any PilotAware is put into my Windows 10 Laptop, so I don’t think it is an SDFormatter issue. AIUI, the problem with SDFormatter5 is that it no longer gives the option to select ‘Full Overwrite Format... with Size Adjustment ‘On’ so not sure which actual ‘Format’ we end up with. I was going to try a test on the PC at the Airfield this afternoon, which has SDF5 installed, but couldn’t find a spare micro SD to test on. Unfortunately I won’t be back for at least a week.

Regards

Peter

HarryS

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 10:36:29 pm »
I tried on another machine today, but still no joy, but then if it’s a formatting issue as suggested i’m not doing.anything different than on the Mac and other Win10 laptop.  Ever the optimist...

Peter, thanks for the additional info - I agree - V5 has become ‘black box’ and it’s unclear what it’s actually doing now as the menu has been reduced down to ‘quick or ‘full’.  I can’t find the copy of an earlier cut of the formatting software and was wondering whether someone might have a copy of V4 (or earlier) that could be made avaiable either on the LODE site or via email.

Am taking this ‘down time’ as an opportunity to change the Pi 2+ to 3 (not plus) as well as building another classic for a friend that he bought from the team last year but didn’t build.  Hopefully I’ll be able to pop his PilotAware supplied SD in mine and see if it boots the kit up fully (MAC / Licence issues aside).

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 11:01:51 pm »
Harry,

I still have the '.zip file' containing the 'SDF4 Installer Application', but I presume it will either try to find the v4 software and fail, or try to install the newer version 5 instead (so for obvious reasons I don't want to try re-running it on mine). Happy to email it to you if you want to give it a try. Just PM me your e-mail.

Regards

Peter

HarryS

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 11:08:09 pm »
Thanks Peter - i’ve Just found a copy of V4 online.

Sadly it doesn’t fix the issue for me and my boot stops in the same place.  I note my GPS flashes, but my Wi-fi dongle never comes alive (but does when plugged into a laptop).  I suspect the boot doesn’t get far enough to switch it on.

I have a look at the PilotAware loaded SD supplied with my friends kit and see if it solves anything, before changing other things out.

Thanks,

H
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:47:19 pm by HarryS »

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 09:29:11 am »
Harry,

You could try connecting your RPi to a monitor (or TV set) via the HDMI port? That way you can monitor the boot sequence and let us know how far it is getting. Perhaps take a picture of the screen and post it on here. That would let Lee see what is going on.

Regards

Peter