Author Topic: FLARM is it worth the upgrade?  (Read 4995 times)

Chris-TT

FLARM is it worth the upgrade?
« on: January 12, 2017, 12:40:42 pm »
I've been using PilotAware for a while now, and in my opinion it's improved a great deal in the last few months! The last few flights I've taken it's identified all but a couple of aircraft. My question really goes out to anyone who has purchased a FLARM Mouse. Was it worth it? Do you feel the GPS is improved? Do you see much FLARM traffic? And how do you Power both PilotAware and the FLARM Mouse?

Thanks

Keithvinning

Re: FLARM is it worth the upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 01:22:45 pm »
Hi Chris

As FLARM is mainly used by Gliders and the amount of Glider traffic falls off considerably in the winter probably by 80%?? there will not be much to see. However very interested in others views on your interesting post

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »
I've been using PilotAware for a while now, and in my opinion it's improved a great deal in the last few months! The last few flights I've taken it's identified all but a couple of aircraft. My question really goes out to anyone who has purchased a FLARM Mouse. Was it worth it? Do you feel the GPS is improved? Do you see much FLARM traffic? And how do you Power both PilotAware and the FLARM Mouse?

Thanks

Hi Chris,

In my case - Yes it was worth while - but mainly because I did a load of the 'in flight' development testing for Lee and we also have two local gliding fields North and South of us in areas where I regularly fly.

IMHO GPS is better when using my PAW gps mouse rather than relying on the FlarmMouse to supply gps to PilotAware, though my view is probably biased due to problems I had with FlarmMouse gps during the tests. Since I have 'reverted' to using the PAW GPS (mouse) for PilotAware, the FlarmMouse seems to work fine doing what it was designed for. Perhaps we were expecting too much of it to supply gps to the entire system. I have also recently completed testing with a PowerFlarm Core integrated to PAW in our CFI's flexwing. This also works effectively and we have now installed the PilotAware/PowerFLARM combination. He doesn't fly in gliding areas that often, but can now see the rest of us on PilotAware.

I do see plenty of Flarm traffic when flying in gliding areas, but generally only when they get within 2-3Km of me, which is pretty much as anticipated.

FlarmMouse is powered direct from the aircraft 12 volt system. PilotAware is powered via a 'Charge 4', both integrated using a USB to RS232 converter lead.

The main downside to adding FLARM is the cost as the units have increased in price significantly since I bought mine.

There are also strong rumours going round as to whether or not FLARM are going to continue supporting 'basic FLARM' or try to push users towards PowerFLARM, so unless you need FLARM desperately, it would probably be better holding off for a while and see what happens.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:01:54 am by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 01:58:59 pm »
I paid sub £600 for my FLARM mouse, and I have not been impressed with it. I have not seen anything beyond 3k, and the GPS takes an age to get a lock on enough Satellites. The antenna is critical both in location and type. If portability is important then by al means buy a FLARM mouse, otherwise get one of the Power FLARM products like the Red Box.

I fly in a huddle of glider sites, so being aware of them is a high priority. Difficult to equate in terms of 'value for money' £600 is a rip-off, but if it saves my butt them I am all for getting a FLARM device of some sort.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 02:02:18 pm »
Hi Chris,

I've been using PilotAware for a while now, and in my opinion it's improved a great deal in the last few months! The last few flights I've taken it's identified all but a couple of aircraft.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, it is greatly appreciated.

My question really goes out to anyone who has purchased a FLARM Mouse. Was it worth it? Do you feel the GPS is improved? Do you see much FLARM traffic? And how do you Power both PilotAware and the FLARM Mouse?

Its a difficult question isn't it ?
All this technology is similar to having a fire extinguisher.

You have a fire extinguisher in the hope that you will never have to use it,
but you know its value in advance, given the curcumstances in which it would be required.

You have this technology in the hope that it is never required in a situation where it could save your life,
and there is no doubt in the Glider community (due to the nature of the sport) it has definitely saved lives.

For all its limitations regarding range, cost, performance and capabilities, if you want to see the gliders,
then TODAY there is no alternative.

My 2 Cents ?
I have a Flarm Mouse.
The GPS is poorer that the one's (uBlox) we use with PilotAware, but it is adequate.
(If you leave your uBlox connected to PilotAware, then that is used by PilotAware in preference to the GPS supplied by FLARM)

The range of Flarm Mouse is quite poor, I tend to only see traffic at around 2km, luckily this will trigger the audio, and hence you do
not have to keep polling your screen (interrupt, rather than polling driven)

Powering the Flarm Mouse is pretty easy, it is low power and voltage tolerant,
I dont recall exactly, but I think it will take between 6-30V

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 02:07:09 pm »
The main downside to adding FLARM is the cost as the units have increased in price significantly since I bought mine.

When I bought my Flarm mouse, about 6 months ago, I think it was £430 including VAT.
Suspiciously ???, after we announced the integration with PilotAware - the price jumped to in excess of £600

Chris-TT

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 03:13:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies. It’s disappointing to see the price rising with the announcement of PilotAware integration, especially when it’s something safety critical. You’re right you really can’t put a price on safety, it just seems quite unethical if that’s the reason the FLARM units are so expensive now.

You’ve certainly given me more to think about, I think however I’m slightly less sold on the idea than I was before.