Author Topic: Pimping The GPS  (Read 2835 times)

PaulSS

Pimping The GPS
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:09:15 pm »
Today's stupid questions (0256 JST  :( ). Is it going to be possible to somehow pimp the GPS output to a Mode S extended squitter to enable SIL 1?

At the moment my plan is to use the GPS output from my MGL EFIS as the position source for a Trig TT21 transponder to enable ADSB Out. As we ALL know ( :) ) this would presently give me SIL 0 and, therefore, cloaking device to certified receivers. Having spoke to the MGL Guru, I am assured their GPS does actually conform to SIL 1 but it would need the paperwork doing before he can turn on the 0s and 1s that would enable the transponder to sense the presence of a pimped GPS signal and switch itself to SIL 1.

According to Trig, the transponder will automatically configure itself to SIL 0 or SIL 1 depending on the GPS 'code' it receives, telling it how good or gooder it is.

I was wondering if there is a relatively easy way for PAW to change the GPS dongle, or whatever else needs to be done, in order to get the proper GPS output signal to an extended squitter to enable SIL 1.

Some might argue this would also slightly mitigate the Sky Echo 2 'threat', as their unit has SIL 1. Of course, it would only affect those using the GPS to a Mode S for ADSB Out but every little helps.....possibly  ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:11:06 pm by PaulSS »

Ian Melville

Re: Pimping The GPS
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:01:47 pm »
I did a quick look for GPS modules that support CAP1391, but there are not many around. I did wonder if it was possible to use a Trig TN72, but not sure that the message sent out on the RS232 is comparable with what is expected by PAW. Perhaps that couyld be a future option?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 12:20:05 am »
What field between the GPS and transponder determines what SIL is used if it's automatic?

The PAW GPS sends "3" if it's receiving an EGNOS signal as to the quality. If you look at the home page, if you see DGPS as the fix, that means it's receiving the top quality signal from the GPS.

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 03:26:11 am »
I'm afraid I'm in the dark as to how the actual data fields trigger the transponder to set the SIL. I did get the information below from Trig but this is probably more directed towards someone that knows their arse from their elbow  :)

NMEA 0183 Transponder sends ADS-B data, SIL sets to zero.
C199 TABS Transponder sends ADS-B data in accordance with TSO C199; SIL = 1, SDA = 1.
Trig TN72 SIL 3 Transponder sends ADS-B data in accordance with FAR 91.227; SIL = 3, SDA = 2.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 08:37:02 am »
Hmm. Curious to know what's the difference in data.

Some info an TABS here.

https://www.icao.int/APAC/Meetings/2015%20ADSBSITF14/SP08b_FAA%20TABS%20briefing.pdf