Author Topic: Changing ADS-B dongle  (Read 2965 times)

trettum

Changing ADS-B dongle
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:27:54 pm »
Hello.

Is it possible to replace the supplied ADS-B usb dongle with the Flightaware Prostick plus.
http://Https://flightaware.com/adsb/prostick/

I asume the Prostick plus is better in reciving ADS-B data then a supplied STR RTL usb dongle? Or will it be a com/driver problem?

Giver

Re: Changing ADS-B dongle
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 09:32:23 pm »
I think the link should be
http://flightaware.com/adsb/prostick/

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 10:40:13 pm »
trettum,

That depends on how you define ‘better’. You don’t say why you want to change the dongle.

The Prostick or Prostick Plus should certainly ‘work’. They use pretty much the same ‘chipset’ as the standard Realtek RTLSDR dongle supplied with PilotAware, but they are designed for use primarily by plane spotters, who want to see aircraft at extreme range. We can already pick up ADSB, Mode C and Mode S Aircraft at well over 100 miles out with the standard dongles, which is way beyond the range needed for aircraft safety awareness. There is a danger that the ProStick’s built in amplifier may overload the PilotAware alert triggers, causing you to receive alert warnings from aircraft well outside visual range which can in no way be seen to present any conceivable danger. There is also a danger that the additional current draw required to run the built-in preamp and filter may overload the power supply on the Raspberry Pi Motherboard.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 06:32:13 am »
In addition to Peters comments.
If you are using the original classic case, then the dongle will be vulnerable as it will stick out a long way. It also will not fit within the majority of the alternative cases if you want a clean look.

I find the standard RTL SDR more than sensitive enough. More gain will mean that it is not possible to set appropriate trigger levels for Mode C/S traffic, you will get the highest level 'Danger' alert for almost everything flying for several counties.

trettum

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:30:45 pm »
Thank you for all answer's. I understand the supplied dongle will work perfectly fine😀