Author Topic: Software Update 20180129  (Read 17762 times)

Dave jones

Re: Software Update 20180129
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 07:01:18 pm »
Hi Go to page 38 of the PilotAware operating and software instructions and follow the  Ethernet method.
Hope this helps. I've just done it.
Dave

exfirepro

Re: Latest update
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 07:04:24 pm »
Dave,

How did you update the software? If you did it by USB stick your licence details will carry forward, but if you did a complete reinstall you need to re-enter your licence key. You can retrieve your licence key from http://PilotAware.lode.co.uk by submitting your unit’s MAC address.

Could that be the problem?

Regards

Peter

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 07:09:00 pm »
Dave,

Ethernet is the best option for older systems (running any version older than 20160829 xwhich introduced the USB stick reader). For newer versions, USB stick is by far the quickest and most effective method.

Best Regards

Peter

Dave jones

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 07:30:17 pm »
Thank you Peter. I've just re entered my license key with no effect. I installed the new software using the Ethernet way. I was going to use USB stick but the lode.com site said I needed a new app which I didn't understand.
Regards Dave

exfirepro

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 07:55:13 pm »
Thank you Peter. I've just re entered my license key with no effect. I installed the new software using the Ethernet way. I was going to use USB stick but the lode.com site said I needed a new app which I didn't understand.
Regards Dave

If you used lode.com that might have been the problem. The licensing and downloads site is....

http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk   Note: NO www

After updating, you need to make sure you are correctly logged back onto your PilotAware WiFi hotspot then log into 192.168.1.1, but be careful to make sure the tablet isn’t using a cached URL such as 192.168.1.1/install.cgi or similar or it won’t log back on properly. Also after entering the licence key you must remember to save it at the bottom of the Configure Screen. Try powering down and rebooting.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:11:46 am by exfirepro »

Dave jones

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 08:09:37 pm »
Hi Peter, many thanks I think it's sorted now. Am I correct in thinking the pressure altitude box in the home page will turn from red to green when I've re installed all the aerials/ dongles
Regards Dave

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 09:33:49 am »
Morning Dave,

It should do - the ADSB TRX and GPS lights will also be red until you replace the dongles and the unit re-establishes its position (GPS), then TRX (which won’t work until the unit’s position has been established) and finally ADSB when it sees traffic.

If the pressure altitude light doesn’t go green, you will need to open the PAW case and check that the Bridge board (the one the thicker (P3I) antenna attaches to) hasn’t come loose where it attaches to the Raspberry Pi ‘GPIO pins’. The black connector block should be fully seated onto the pins along the length of the board. If you can see a gap gently press the two boards together to make sure they are correctly seated. You don’t need to take the boards out of the case to do this. Replace the lid and screws, tightening them carefully - they are only going into plastic so don’t overtighten them - stop when you feel resistance. Hopefully this won’t be necessary, but this would be the most likely cause of the baro not working.

Regards

Peter

Nkt2000

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 11:29:56 am »
Software update done via Ethernet cable.  Seems to be working ok :)

Seanhump

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 04:41:24 pm »
Updated via the usb drive route and completed without issues....
Pilotaware user ...

exfirepro

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 04:51:25 pm »
Thanks guys, good to know all went well.

Regards

Peter

GarethHorne

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 08:44:52 pm »
After updating I'm seeing

error=1 error_msg="Command not Registered"

Under UPTIME on the home page which I don't recall seeing before. Tried rebooting but still present, any ideas?

thanks

Gareth

exfirepro

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 11:41:17 pm »
Hi Gareth,

Despite the ‘Error’ message, your PAW seems to be running fine with a full set of green ‘lights’ on the Home Screen - I presume (from the Tx=1 in the TRX line) that you had it configured as a Rx-only base station when you took the screen grab.

Although I can’t say exactly what the error message means, I notice that you are still running a very early version of the Raspberry Pi Linux Software (Kernel=3.18.7-v7+), which might be an issue if you didn’t install the ‘Hot Fix’ updates (20170706 and 20170721) to the previous 20170619 update (to allow UDP connectivity to run on Linux Kernel Versions prior to 4.4 and allow 3/4G phones and tablets to continue to use 3/4G when connected by WiFi to PilotAware) - though I would have thought that the most recent update would have automatically brought your system right up to date. Hopefully Lee will confirm when he comes back on.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:17:23 am by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 11:31:15 am »
I thought the updates did not update the Kernal? IIRC Lee asked us to wipe and rebuild when the Kernal version was critical, that was a while back now and may have been to allow USB stick updates.

exfirepro

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 11:44:24 am »
Ian,

You are correct, the updates don't update the Kernel. If you remember, when Lee introduced UDP messaging in version update 20170619, this would initially only work with Kernels 4.4.xx or later, so 'Hotfix' update 20170706 was issued to allow UDP to work with earlier Kernels. I assume that the latest update includes the previous patches, so would fix that issue automatically, just not sure. Hopefully lee will respond and clarify the position.

Of course the error message may be something else entirely.

Best Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 11:58:49 am »
After updating I'm seeing
error=1 error_msg="Command not Registered"
Under UPTIME on the home page which I don't recall seeing before. Tried rebooting but still present, any ideas?

Hi Gareth,

This is actually benign.
The OS you are running is quite early, and the application is requesting information about voltage drops which is not present in that version of the OS.
I will remove this error message in the next release.

If you want to be able to see this information, you will need to do a full install of PilotAware (details in operating instructions), rather than the incremental update - which is just the PilotAware application

Thx
Lee