British Forum > OGN-R PilotAware

OGN-R antenna solutions

<< < (2/2)

exfirepro:
Paul,

I thought about this some time back and it is certainly feasible. Of course if we simply connect a 9dBi antenna to the PAW Bridge and transmit through it, we can easily exceed the maximum permitted ERP of 500mW, which the PAW Bridge is designed to achieve using the standard ‘sleeve’ (end-fed) dipole (depending of course on coax / connector losses) - hence Keith’s diy plastic tube solution to improve antenna height whilst NOT increasing gain.

I have tried a 5dBi antenna (same as Keith’s) on my PAW transmit side and we can get away with using it on most twin antenna setups as the power loss in the coax and connectors pretty much balances out the additional gain, so doesn’t exceed the max permissible ERP, but we need to assess each installation individually if we are to stay ‘legal’ in all cases.

WRT the use of a single 9dBi, the additional 3dB loss in the splitter would probably still keep things legal unless very short lengths of coax are used. Are you building your own splitters or have you sourced commercial ones? It will be interesting to see the results.

Best Regards

Peter

PaulRuskin:
I've sourced commercial splitters.  These https://www.instockwireless.com/power_divider_pd1020.htm

If we're rolling out a good number of these (and I plan to), then I want to do as little hand building of hardware as possible.

Also, I have a build of the software with remote management capability baked in.

Paul

Kevin W:
Interested in how you are getting on Paul?  Looking at onglide.com Orwell seems to be doing better than Orwell2, but there may be other things at play (as Orwell2 looks to have been down for a while by Grafana).

Cheers
Kev

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version