Author Topic: Magnetic monopoles  (Read 2520 times)

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
Magnetic monopoles
« on: February 14, 2018, 01:39:26 pm »
Just noticed that the base of the ADS-B single pole antenna has a magnet in it.  I would suggest that any magnets are removed from the cockpit area, and the antenna stuck down with 3M sticky pads, or perhaps velcro.

Any thoughts?

R

exfirepro

Re: Magnetic monopoles
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 02:24:50 pm »
Hi Rog,

This has been mentioned many times on various threads. The magnet(s) - often two small discs - can be removed fairly easily, by carefully removing the plastic cover from the base (it's only glued on) but re-securing the cover onto the base without the magnet in such a way as to allow effective securing of the antenna to the mounting surface can be a bit challenging.

If removing the magnet, I usually suggest taking the opportunity to shorten the antenna cable (if appropriate) and to solder the outer braid to the metal base 'cap' - it's normally just wedged in.

This thread has some good pictures and info....

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,438.msg5661.html#msg5661

Of course the magnet is fairly small, so unless you particularly want to remove it, my advice is usually just be careful to check for any effect on your compass and keep the two well apart.

Regards

Peter

JCurtis

Re: Magnetic monopoles
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 02:34:37 pm »
Same goes for power supplies, battery pack supplies, phones, and tablets - they all can impact the compass.  I've seen a battery pack power supply on top of the coaming impact a compass at 20cm.

People also need to be wary where an electronic compass unit is mounted behind a panel for those with digital instruments, then they also put some other electronics nearby and don't check.

Always fun to pick up paperclips with a phone or tablet to see where they hide them, for either case detection or where the gizmo that makes it vibrate is inside.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.