Author Topic: Filtering other aircraft  (Read 4167 times)

mick moulton

Filtering other aircraft
« on: September 28, 2017, 09:54:56 am »
I have been using PAW for just over 12 months, I run skydemon on an Android tablet, I am very please with the functionality and reliability of the GPS over the location services.
Using the filter to ignore my own transponder is fine, I wondered would it be possible to extend the filters to exclude several aircraft? I regularly with a group of others, continuously getting traffic warnings about each can get confusing.

Cheers,

Mick.   

Admin

Re: Filtering other aircraft
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:07:00 am »
Hi Mick

urgh, I hate to admit it, but this is a request we are hearing more now  :-\
Especially for use during flyouts / travelling groups.

I am thinking about the best way to do this, and I am guessing it is something like a list of ICAO codes, so possibly an ignore list in the configure page which is comma separated, something like :-

4001AF,404452,4055AD

Should there be a maximum, I am thinking 10 would be enough ?

Just to confirm, we are only talking about the audio messages right ?

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 11:30:49 am »
Mick,

Good timing! I had just raised an issue with Lee over in the Engineering Forum which directly reflects on what you are asking for.

My view would certainly be to filter audio only as when flying in a group, we still need to see each other on screen in case we get separated e.g. by cloud or reducing visibility.

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:42 pm »
How about inhibiting audio when a group name is set other that default. I.e #MotleyMob#

That way no faffing around with ICAO codes.

Would an aircraft in close formation constantly be triggering visual alerts?

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »
Hi Ian,

I did suggest filtering by 'Group ID' for flyouts to Lee a while back, though this would only filter out PAW signals. As you say, filtering by Group ID would need to automatically exclude the default 'PAWGRP' or we wouldn't get audio alerts from PilotAware aircraft still using the default.

The idea is to filter audio only as we wouldn't want to filter out the aircraft, so Visual from known position targets just continues as normal. We would need to check Mode C/S.

Regards

Peter

mick moulton

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 11:25:41 pm »
I was thinking both visual and audio.

AlanG

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:33:35 pm »
Hi All

Definitely not visual targets being disabled in group flying.  It is only the audio that can become distracting even when there are only two of you in formation.  You shouldn't be spending that much time looking at the screen for the visual targets to become annoying.

Regards
Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 10:29:12 am »
Mick,

Why would you want to visually filter out other aircraft close to you?

There are plenty of occasions where you can lose sight of another aircraft beneath (or in my case above) your wing for example, or become separated by broken cloud. A quick glance at your screen provides instant reassurance as to where and at what height the other aircraft is from you at any time.

Removing the aircraft visually would also preclude the use of the 'Group ID' facility, which is specifically designed to allow groups of aircraft travelling together to keep track of each other more easily even where the traffic density gets high.

Regards

Peter

Positiv

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:20 am »
it would be nice.
a height filter.
some navi programs do not have that  :-\

mick moulton

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 08:51:53 am »
For me its the bearingless targets of transponder equipped  companions that are the least useful. I am trying to spread the the word about PAW, meantime id like to filter the Hex code! 

Mick.